Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly 660 in sand or dunes????

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2002, 09:50 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grizzly 660 in sand or dunes????

I raced a grizzly 700 with paddles on NOS @ Rocky Point Labor day weekend. I couldnt figure out why this Grizzly wanted to race me, so Im like , "whatever,lets get this whipping over" and spotted him 4-5 bikes at the start, it damn near beat me, the only thing that saved my bacon was his weight of him and the bike.

Old 11-26-2002, 12:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grizzly 660 in sand or dunes????

I took my 03 grizzly to Little Sahara dunes in Utah to see how it would run. There are two slopes on Sand Mountain that we race on. The face - 600 ft vertical and about 30 degree slope, and the gut - same vertical but only about 25 degree slope. The sand was wet and all chopped up so the grizzly suspension was much smoother riding than the raptor or LT500. With the stock tires, the Grizzly would not go up the gut in 2 wheel drive but would go up in 4 wheel drive at 25 mph - lots of wheel spin. It would go up about 1/4 of the face in 4 wheel drive. With 21-12-8 skat track haulers on the back I could go up the gut in 2 wheel drive (didn't want to try 4 whell drive because of the different diameter tires on front vs. rear) at 27 mph - also lots of wheel spin but it did seem faster than 4 wheel drive withstock tires. It went up the face about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way. It just slowly slowed down to the point that it would dig a hole and not go any further. I think that if I had 10% more power, it would climb the steep stuff - not very fast but it would climb. I haven't tried it with a light rider and I don't know how it will do in dry sand but except for the steepest stuff it worked great for running the bowls - I can't get over how smooth the ride is. In order to put the 8 inch paddle tires on the back, I had to make some wheel spacers. They only need to be 2 inches wide but these turned out 2.8 inches wide. combined with the different offset of the paddle rims vs. the stock rims, the rear width went from 43 inches (I think) to 56 inches wide. From the rear it looked like a sand rail, but wow was it ever stable. I could sidehill anywhere I wanted without even leaning. I would like to know if 10 inch paddle tires on 10 inch rims would fit over the rear A-arms without spacers or will I have to use spacers or will I have to have some 12 inch diameter paddles made. I will wait until the sand dries out to see how much dfiference there is between the stock tires and the paddles before I buy anything. A friend of mine was there with his 400EX with a pipe. It wasn't as fast as the Raptor but it was faster than the Grizzly and it would climb the face.