Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Help with Banshee! Wont start.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2002, 02:23 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Banshee! Wont start.

Okay, here is my problem.

I bought an 89 Banshee from a guy about a week and a half ago. Since then I have had a few minor problems, no biggie. I fixed them. Now here is what is getting me annoyed. I took the carbs out last night to inspect them. I have a noticeable bog in the low to midrange. I figured the carbs were dirty, soo I checked them and they were actually nice and clean. Soo I reinstalled them, made sure that they were sync'd, put in a new fuel line, checked everything over to make sure it was tight, aligned, nothing sticking, properly adjusted etc. I went to start it and now it wont start[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] I cant figure this out. Can someone maybe help me?? Give me a couple ideas? I would really really appreciate it!!

TireFryer

Old 11-10-2002, 10:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

1st are you getting gas? Sometimes the float gets stuck in the up position. Tap the side of the carbs. 2nd check for spark, check this with with an extra plug. Check for spark. no spark?. Check all your grounds. On the back of the Banshee there is a small silver box about an inch by an inch by 3/4 thick. When this part goes bad It wont start. Coil aprox 65.00, CDI box, any where from 100.-500.00 depending what kind of upgrades the privious owner had. Then there is the Stator.
It can be anything above but hopefully its a stuck float. It did run before you took the carbs off right? Ever gone to Glamis?

Old 11-11-2002, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider

Well, 90% of the time when somebody takes of the carbs and it won't start it is becasue they didn't but the small choke tube back in. It is about 2-1/2 inches long and goes straight between the 2 carbs; it's hard to see but each carb has a nipple that the hose goes on facing each other in between them. It's really easy to miss and usually falls off when you take a carb off.

BTW, the low-mid bog sounds like a rich condition in the midrange. Try A: turning out your airscrews and/or B: raising the needles a notch (lowering the clip) to lean the midrange a bit.

Old 11-11-2002, 04:42 PM
Range Rover

I don't have any info on your banshee for you, but I'm gonna take a guess and say you've got a 30th anniv. T/A and visit LS1.com and LS1tech.com b/c your S/N looks really familiar.

Old 11-11-2002, 06:44 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah, thats me!!

And I am betting the choke tube is the culprit!! I realized that there wasnt anything inbetween them after I got it back together and I couldnt figure out how the choke would work. Soo now I am screwed because I have no idea where that little tube piece is!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] I guess I will try and go look for it again. I actually put in new plugs and I sprayed a little bit of starting fluid in the carbs to see what would happen. Guess what, it fired right up! Soo I checked and I have fuel. Damn I hate when I dont pay attention and f@ck something simple up!

TireFryer

Old 11-11-2002, 08:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

No ****. That was it? I forgot that one too That happen to me in Glamis. Used the clear tube from a bottle of Fix a flat.

Old 11-12-2002, 10:59 AM
Trailblazer

TTT.