Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Slipping Kodiak belt

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2000, 11:46 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I finally did it. I went into deep water and my belt is slipping. Unfortunatly, the manual just talks about the two drain caps. When I removed the bottom one, there was about half a gallon of water that came out. The belt is still slipping after drainage. Is there another location were I need to remove the water?

Also, I was stranded near a road, although my belt was slipping, I was able to reach the road without too much belt slippage provided that I did not go above 10 Mph. I drove about 1500 feet. Do you think I may have permanently damaged the belt?

I know that I could get this info from my dealer but it is sunday, the shop is closed and I would like to ride it again this afternoon.

Old 04-02-2000, 03:25 PM
Trailblazer

(Deleted by ryant)

Apologies offered to all those involved.

Old 04-02-2000, 04:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

I was surprise to read such a rude reply. It never occured to you that this happenned accidently. I was crossing a narrow frozen creek and the ice broke. The creek was so narrow that half the bike was on the bank and the other half in the water. If you look carefully to the design of the Kodiak you will see that the belt exhaust duct is right beside the muffler and when the bike has 2 front wheels on the bank and the two back wheels in the water, water will get in throw the exhaust duct even in 14 inches of water.

Thanks for your constructive input. It really help me solving my problem.

Varso

Old 04-02-2000, 05:12 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with varso.

Old 04-02-2000, 05:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

I agree with you Varso,I hope he does not reply to any of my questions.

Old 04-02-2000, 05:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

There is a main drain plug located on the bottom of the tranny case. My dealer told me if water gets in here, take off the skidplate and remove the drain plug. This should get rid of the rest of the water. Good Luck!

Old 04-02-2000, 05:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Hopkin and Kerplunk for your support.

Anyway, Just to help anyone caught in this unpleasant situation, there is another drain plug that is not documented in the owner manual but needs to be removed in order to fully dry the belt housing. It is located 3 inches to the left of your right foot peg. There is a hole in the skid plate. You will need a 12 mm socket with an extension to reach the bolt. Just drain the water and your back in business.

Who knows, this tip might become handy to our friend RyanT

Old 04-02-2000, 10:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Varso, dont feel bad I did the same thing with my kodiak the day I bought it. I drained out all the water and haven't had a problem ever since. It wasn't an accident either. I was trying to outdo a honda 450. He didn't make it either.

Don't let the negative responses bother you. I personally like testing the limits of my machine. They don't call them ATV's because they were ment to be riden on the road.

I recently took the cover off of the belt housing just to see if I damaged it the day I sunk it and it looked just fine.

Old 04-02-2000, 11:38 PM
Trailblazer

(Deleted by ryant)

Apologies offered to all those involved.

Old 04-03-2000, 06:42 AM
Pro Rider

I have seen a Kodiak stood up on the rear rack to drain the tranny.

Quick Reply: Slipping Kodiak belt