Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

who switched from a 400EX to a Raptor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 12:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who switched from a 400EX to a Raptor?

I have owned both. My 400ex had a UNI filter and jetted up properly. Wider axle, tires, nerfs, skids. It was a great quad. By far, the best quad available at the time. Didn't keep with the banshee in power, but smoked it in handling. Also, totally bulletproof.

I bought the quad, rode it for 2 years, and sold it for $500 less that what I bought it for. What a deal.

Then I bought the raptor. It killed the 400ex. Put a pipe, filter, no lid and jets on the Rap and it rocks.

The only real difference I found was the higher riding position, and the tire setup, caused it to feel more tippy than my 400ex. Keep in mind that I had aftermarket tires/rims and a wider axel so I was probably 4-6" wider in the rear than the Rap. But, a little body english on the Rap is all you need. I also feel that if you put a set of tires on the rear that didn't have as much lateral traction, it would be a better sliding quad. It corners fine, climbs great, jumps great, reverses even better..... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] And as for wheelies, I can pull it up in 5th with no clutching.

If I had to buy a quad, and choose between the 400EX and the Rap, it's easy. Rap all the way.

(Ahem, but my 01 hasn't had the tranny fall out of it yet. I might have a different opinion when that comes around. But the '02 and the '03 don't have that predisposition to chew trannys)

Old 09-05-2003, 03:57 PM
Pro Rider

I constantly switch back and forth between my Raptor and my wife's 400EX. I'll take the 400 out on the track when I want to try something new over a jump, or just pound around the track really hard. It's alot easier to ride and I don't have to worry about the engine stumbling after a rough landing or through the whoops. I'd never give up my Raptor on the trails though, it's untouchable there.

Old 09-05-2003, 04:21 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DSAPP
tell me about your initial impressions.... and then about your lasting impressions....tell me how they compare as in wheelies, sliding, cornering, hill climbing, jumping, ride, etc.
IMO, it's like stepping off a boys quad onto a mans.
Wheelies...about the same..both wheelie easy...maybe too easy in certain situations in stock form.
400ex slides better...I like the stock 400ex tires better for sliding.
The Raptor is 2X better hillclimber....almost as good as the Banshee.
Jumping for me is about the same....I like the 50/50 weight distribution of the Raptor better than the too light front end of the 400ex though....the 400ex has only 30-some percent of it's weight up front.

Lasting impressions of the 400ex were spankings. Lasting impressions of the Raptor are TORQUE and decent overrev for a thumper. Chugging along in 4th gear at probably 40 on the trail with a smile and more than enough power on tap. The Raptor ergos and engine match nicely....one magazine said the Raptor was like a Cadillac with the more powerful northstar engine....I could'nt agree more. If I were gonna MX, a 400ex would be a better platform too start....but thats what the YZF is for!

Old 09-05-2003, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider

^[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-06-2003, 05:24 PM
Trailblazer

In 00 I bought my 400ex. I ride 90% @ GLAMIS :
I am 5'10" and 260 lb.
The 400 was a comfotable ride, corners nice, a good dunning Q but for a big boy not the most comfortable Q to jump. We have a hill @ Glamis called China Wall, if it was any more vertical the sand would not stand! I would guess that the hill is 300yrd's long or more. I could get within 12' to 15' of the top and would have to turn and go down. This was not acceptable.

The next season I saw a picture in Dirt Wheels of the Rap 660 I had to have one! I went to my local dealer and put down a deposit even though Yamaha was not taking orders yet. Three mo. later I got one of the 1st Raptors in So. Ca. just in time for Holloween weekend!!!
But after two trips I was ready to go back to the the 2cycle seen. But I talked to guys @ Glamis and a pipe was recomended. So I started my reserch,and came up with the Big Gun w/headpipe also prodesign 2stage foam filter,jetting kit. When I bought the Q I changed the front sprocet to an 11/tooth (only recomended on the 01's they have a higher gears in first & second)
My 1st ride changed everything, I was in LOVE. These changes made a radical differences in the hole shot, and in the way it handled. It use to feel heavy in the front but this was no more a problem. And even @ 260, launching IT feels GREAT!! No hill @ anytime of the year (even when the sand isrealy dry) is too steep or to long!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Now my 16yr. old daughter rides the 400ex, and she rides with the big boy's.

So I would have to say over all there is nothing like ride and power of a Raptor if it's set-up right.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 09-07-2003, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider

alli have to say is had my honda for a year but decided to sell it, honda is a great quad but raptor is even better. it wheelie's really easy, tons of power, great dune quad if you ride dunes, great all around quad except for the 01 since it has the tranny issue!

Old 09-07-2003, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider

i went from a 300ex to a raptor, my jaw dropped first time riding this thing it even felt more powerful just sitting on it!