Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

hill climbing on blaster

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2002, 11:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hill climbing on blaster

I am not the best at hill climbing, and i was wondering if any of you other blaster riders havehad any luck on hillclimbs. MAinly on dirt or loose rock hills, but basically i want to know if the blaster is a good hill climber, becuase i'm afraid to try alot of hills.

Old 11-18-2002, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

The Blaster isnt the best in the power department, but it should be able to climb what u need it to. Getting over the fear of climbing big hills is just like getting over any fear. You just have to do it. If u arent going to make it, stop, and go down the hill backwards. Yeah, it sucks, but u gotta do it. Im sure with the right amount of expierence, the blaster is just as good of a hill climber as any other quad!!

-nick

Old 11-18-2002, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

Drop 2nd or 3rd and PIN IT! If you dont make it, your SOL unless you have a newer blaster with front brakes to slow the backing down. Lean your upper body a little forward and try some smaller hills first.

Old 11-18-2002, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider

if you want to do some big big hills, extend the swing arm, widen the blaster, add some mods and hit the hill in 2nd

Old 11-18-2002, 11:25 PM
Pro Rider

ya what they said was pretty much right
ya depending on the hill hit it in 3rd or 2nd for more hit in in 3rd then downshif if you need to

Old 11-19-2002, 08:04 AM
Pro Rider

is it neccesary to feather hte clutch or anything??

Old 11-19-2002, 08:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

If you can keep the revs up, you can stay away from the clutch. I've only had my Blaster a couple of weeks but I've already tackled some steep, snarly hills with it. Keep your weight forward, the Blaster has a short wheelbase and likes to over backwards. Also, momentum is your friend! I learned that with dirtbikes years ago... a bike will go over almost anything if you hit it hard enough. You need to keep your speed up and use momentum to overcome obstacles in the way. If you start losing revs, downshift! Especially if you have a ways to go... feathering the clutch won't get you out of trouble for long... once you stall, it will be a long way down backwards.

Hills rule! If there weren't any, I wouldn't ride!

Old 11-19-2002, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider

I think the blaster is actually a pretty good climber for its class because of its powerband,it isnt best at standing still starts though ,the technique i use is (i ride in sand) is get far on the front and put it in 3rd or 2nd depending on the hill and rev it to the max,you shouldnt have to worry about traction as i never get stuck because of loss of traction,i worry more bout flipping over backwords....

Old 11-19-2002, 02:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

just get some oem tires for the warrior. my warrior has made up any hill i come accros in. and yeah its stock.

[quote]
this quad eats hondas and ***** suzuki[quote]

Old 11-19-2002, 04:18 PM
Pro Rider

Listen I do a lot of hill climbing competition and pleasure...
Just remember this dont climb a hill that you think is beyond your abillity or your bikes. You can get hurt in a hurry on a hill. Most important of all... if you get in trouble and you know you are going to lose it...get out of the way, exit the bike on the high side of the hill to keep it from rolling on you.

Yea it may suck getting your bike torn up, but its better to be standing and looking at your busted bike than laying and looking at your busted bike!!!

Ow yea and if you are going to hit a hill on a blaster remember its two stroke and RPM is the key keep it reving hard on the power band and slip the clutch to help keep the front end on the ground (this way you dont lose R's)

Quick Reply: hill climbing on blaster