Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Painting Plastic

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2002, 10:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting Plastic

anyone have any tips for painting plastic, i wanna be able to bend it with out cracking............
Thanks

Yamaha Warrior

Old 11-21-2002, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider
Default Painting Plastic

A friend of mine had his Cannondale Plastic painted black. It seems to have held up. He took it to an actual body shop to have it done.

Go to my "Mod Photos" page and click on my Canondale folder.

Old 11-21-2002, 11:54 PM
Range Rover
Default Painting Plastic

If you want to paint your plastic, you are going to need flex agent, and adhesive "promoter". Any auto body paint supply shop should have this in stock.

Old 11-23-2002, 12:52 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Painting Plastic

I am an Automotive Painter, certified been painting for about 10 years. There's a few systems out there that I know about for plastic.

PPG, there flex additive only makes the paint flexible for about 72 hours.

DuPont, is OK I really don't like there Plastic adhesion and they done have a flex for there Base coats.

Sikkens, I recommend, I used it to paint pieces on my quad, and to date not one problem. Most flexible paint system with an easy to use plastic adhesion promoter.

If there's a better system out there let me know please. I have not used all brands of paint, but I have had the most luck with Sikkens plastic system.... All this is my .02

Old 11-23-2002, 02:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default Painting Plastic

I'm not sure of his forum name, or if he has one, but in ALedo, I was talking to a guy named Michael Webb. He is part of the NXT-LVL racing team, and I know he painted his plastic, and a few others. I talked to him for a while about it, The paint is called something like P20, bought it at O'reilley auto parts, and already has flex agent in it. It looked sweet! Although, his banshee had full trimmed fenders, so they don't flex as much. Not sure how it would hold up on a quad with full fenders. Go to Nxt-lvlracing.com, and see what you can find out.

Old 11-25-2002, 10:16 PM
Range Rover
Default Painting Plastic

ATV plastic can be painted with great success.... I will say though that your success/failure will all depend on the preperation. My personal opinion is that it's more important than anything else

I will agree and disagree with 02Duramax's post. PPG's system has a good process and their flex additive will stay in the system longer than 72 hrs (DX369). A few years back, all of the so called "fles additives" would only make it pliable for a short period of time like was stated. I cant say for all paint lines out there but I do know of a few that the chemical properties of them has changed. The "flex agents" of now stay in the system and keep it flexable for a long time. Dupont has to have one of the worst "plastic refinish" systems on the market. I wont get into why...

I am a sales/tech rep for a major automotive paint line.. I have used almost every system on the market, and I am certified in most of them. I have a complete description on my site on how to paint atv plastic, using a system that I have tested and is known to work very well.
plastic refinishing
I hope I can be of some help...

Mp350
roostfest.com

Old 11-25-2002, 11:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Painting Plastic

WOW!

I was all ready to tackle my plastics then I read your procedure.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Man, I had no idea that it took that many additives and proper detail to make Paint stick to plasic.

I want my plasic a color that is not offered by OEM, so painting is the only option, but I cant afford to pay hundreds of dollars for 2 small pieces of plastics.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

But I appreciate you sharing your knowledge with us, and showing me the light!

Biggerisbetter.

Old 11-26-2002, 01:17 AM
Pro Rider
Default Painting Plastic

excellent b370! looks like I have a new project [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-26-2002, 10:05 AM
Range Rover
Default Painting Plastic

Your welcome guys.....
I just hate to see someone spend a ton of $ on materials and only to have it fail on them. And then blame the product/plastic. It is alot of work to get right. I dont want to discourage anyone, but only to shed some light on the amount of work that is involved. I have seen companys doing paint work on atv plastic and only charging 500.00 +\-. They give no warrantys and the finished product is below average quality. I know how much the products cost and how much time is involved.... and there is no way it can be done correctly that cheap.

I'm glad I can be of help... Let me know if you have anymore questions........

Mp350
Roostfest.com