Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

twist throttle conversion for raptor. any negatives ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2002, 03:14 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default twist throttle conversion for raptor. any negatives ?

i would like to switch to a twist throttle on my raptor to help eliminate some problems i have with using the thumb throttle such as cramping on extended rides .if anyone has done this conversion i would appreciate your opinion .

Old 11-24-2002, 07:34 AM
Range Rover

duneittilludie, I recently put a twist on my Warrior after riding with the thumb throttle an extended period. l ride mostly woods over some very rought stuf. The main difference I have with riding a quad with a twist is trottle control after jumping or high speed whoops and those big objects that try to pull the bars from your grasp. YOU'LL find yourself gasing it when you aren't expecting it from time to time. I also rode a bike for awhile yesterday. For me holding on to a quad is done a lot more with the arms and shoulders while on a bike it has more legs thrown into it. Trying to control the throttle like this is harder. I am on the verge of putting the thumb back on. IMHO its safer.

Old 11-24-2002, 12:20 PM
Pro Rider

thanks for the opinions on the twist throttle but due to arthritis in my hands i think i will give the twist throttle a try any way .as mick jagger said (what a drag it is getting old) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]:;

Old 11-24-2002, 01:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run a Motion Pro Vortex twister on My Raptor; in fact, I had the trottle assembly sitting in the kitchen a month before the quad arrived at the dealer. It is a very fast throttle, about 1/4 turn and takes a little riding to become used to it. I ride mostly tech trail with lots of rock, rain ruts, wash-outs, etc. Never a problem with throttle control. Most "surprise" throttle openings are the result of improper riding position. I am pasting a copy of an article I wrote some time ago in regard to this debate which may help you in your decision. The article appears below:

I have read many negative posts in various forums regarding twisters wherein the rider complains of inadvertant full throttle openings in rough terrain or landings off jumps.
I'd venture to say that in almost every case the problem lies in poor rider position rather than in the use of a twist throttle. The person is probably riding with his elbows hanging down below the bars ala Harley low rider style and seated back toward the rear of the seat. In this fashion, the throttle is almost certain to open automatically with any shock from rough terrain or hard landing.
Proper agressive riding position is to be seated in the "saddle", just where the seat dips behind the tank. Forearms should be elevated with elbows bent, and wrists should be bent to allow the knuckles to point forward intead of upward. With the arms, elbows, and wrists in this position, it's virtually impossible for the throttle to open accidentally; rather, the throttle would tend to close, if anything. Upper body should be bent slightly forward at the waist. This is called the "attack position" and permits the rider to be in control of the machine, rather than the other way around. The attack position is applicable to any type of quad or bike and with some practice becomes automatic as soon as the rider mounts.
It should be obvious that the seat position must be altered in some situations such as cornering, uphills, sidehills, standing, etc., but the arms, wrists, & upper body position should continue to be used.
As for the degree of control with a thumb throttle, here's something to think about: the thumb, which is the strongest digit, is on the throttle button, 1st & 2nd fingers are on the brake lever, that leaves only the 3rd and little finger to control the bar. On the twister, of course, with the index and middle fingers on the brake lever, the thumb, 3rd & little finger control the bar.
Lastly, lest any reader get the idea that twisters are only useful on sport or performance quads,
or bikes, I have had one on my KQ since day one as well as on my Raptor, and my Warrior before that.

Hot_shoe_cv

Old 11-25-2002, 09:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A twist was my first mod. I got the CR type from motion pro, I think it's not as fast as the vortex.