Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Will this damage my engine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2002, 02:50 PM
RIP Dear Friend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will this damage my engine?

When you think of just 12 oz spread over the surface area of the internals of the motor this would not be a problem.

Now if you had over a quart or more then its going to relieve itself like I do when I have to much in me.

Chet

Old 11-30-2002, 05:17 PM
Pro Rider

LOL chet [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-30-2002, 05:50 PM
Pro Rider

Like most all dry sump systems The Raptor has a very specific procidure you must follow to check the oil level, since the Grizz is very similar to a Raptor I'm sure the procidure is similar.
I too have done it wrong & had too much oil, fortunatly I check the oil every ride & caught it quick. I doubt there was any damage to any of our engines because of this.
You'd think a dealer would know how to correctly check these things though.
Find a new dealer or better yet get a factory service manual & do it yourself!!

Old 11-30-2002, 07:56 PM
Trailblazer

I had the same thing happen with my Raptor. I did the exact same thing with the Turkey Baster! I just check it regularly now and haven't had any problems

Old 11-30-2002, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider

Ive seen a honda civic that relieved its self because somone forgot to put the dipstick all the way back in. After 30 minutes of driving it looked like somone had delicately covered every inch under the hood with a milimeter of oil. Careful not to miss any spots. Darn rice car was still runnin too. I was standing there saying Sieze! Sieze! Sieze!!!!. No luck that day [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Saw a mustang cobra go boom though, rod went through the oil pan. Almost made me wanna cry [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 12-01-2002, 03:00 PM
Pro Rider

I dont think unless its ahole lot it will do anything, when my warrior had an oil leak i would always fill it over to give it some to lose so i woulnd indanger it of getting low. i overfilled my friends go cart alot it smoked blue till it burnt it out then it was ok. so i think your ok man.

Old 12-01-2002, 05:48 PM
Pro Rider

IamChad2k5's friend or used to be friend Shane had 8 quarts to much oil in his Quad Ranger 230. I still hate that unibrowed little punk, he calls himself the quad master. Hes a flamer that does supposed "crazy" wheelies and small jumps on his old utility quads. He still thinks hes the man. I offered to take him for a ride on my Banshee, and he pussed out. I also told him he could drive it, and he also pussed out. So I doubt having 12 oz more oil that recommendend in yer grizzly isnt going to hurt it at all. This kid at 8 plus quarts in his little POS, and it didnt hurt it at all...Keep that in mind!

-nick

Old 12-01-2002, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for all the reply's everyone, makes me fill allot better. I had it out for a good ride today and it seams to be running like a champ. Hopefully there won't be any long-term affects from it. Like stressed seals from the extra oil, that may give out on me further down the rode. I won't worry about it now though; it's running fine, so I have to assume that nothing was damaged. Thanks again.

Old 12-01-2002, 09:44 PM
Pro Rider

Wont do you any good. But the crankcase is vented so it wont build too much preasure.

Old 12-01-2002, 10:22 PM
Pro Rider

It's not oil pressure that you need to worry about. What happens when you overfill your engine is your cank hits the oil and causes it to foam. The foaming oil can ruin your engine in a hurry. Luckly for you any type of oil that is API certified has anti foaming agents mixed in with it. They will foam some what but not a lot.

Quick Reply: Will this damage my engine?