Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Will this damage my engine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2002, 02:53 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will this damage my engine?

I got my Grizzly 660 back from the dealer after they performed the first tune and service. Like an idiot, I didn't check the oil level before I went out riding. I road it twice for a total of 6.5 hours and 54.3 miles. I checked the oil level this evening and discovered that the engine oil level was OVER the "Full Mark". With my wife's trusty Turkey Baster in hand, I removed 12 oz, (a little over a third of a quart) of oil before the oil level was back down to the full mark. (Yes, I did check the oil per the instructions in the owner's manual.) The Grizzly seams to be running fine, but I am worried that this may have harmed the engine in some way or another. What do you guy's think? Could this have harmed the engine, or do you think it will be all right? What about long term affects? Most of the riding was fairly easy riding, but about 2 hours of the riding time was blasting up hills.

Old 11-29-2002, 03:08 AM
Pro Rider

I have done this before but never real high. If dont really think it could do a whole lot of damage unless you put way way to much in, maybe add some extra stress on parts being in the way and all. Possibly could have blown up if you kept running it with a whole lot extra in. Dont take my word on it though, see what everyone else has to say. No reason to cry over spilt milk though, if it did cause damage theres nothing you can do now.

Old 11-29-2002, 03:16 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks JakalWarrior, I didn't think it would do any real damage, but I can't help but worry. I don't know if the over full condition would effect the "oil pressure" making it high, or if the crank would just have to push it's way through more oil? If it is just the added resistance of the crank rotating through the extra oil, I don't see how it could harm it, but if it increased the oil pressure, it may have, I just don't know. Thanks again.

Old 11-29-2002, 03:30 AM
Pro Rider

I think your machine is going to be ok. You didn't run it long enough to do any damage. JMO

Old 11-29-2002, 03:36 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks velocityraptor. If it did damage it, what kind of damage would it cause, I'm just curious as to what to look for. I think and hope your right. Hopefully I will get lots of opinions that agree. Thanks.

Old 11-29-2002, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider

I dont see how it could damage anything. I ran my Warrior for a couple of months in the summer with a little extra oil and I haven't seen any problems so far. Runs in tip top shape nothing wrong. Don't worry about it I think it will be fine!!

Old 11-29-2002, 01:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Mine was so full once that it squirted when I took out the dipstick.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

What would it hurt, valve guide seals? Maybe in extreme cases ... no I don't know.

Trending Topics

Old 11-29-2002, 02:22 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Ward660R, thats pretty full [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Did you ride it that way?

Old 11-30-2002, 12:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

As long as your not useing a higher weight oil,you should be o.k.It can blow out a crank seal due to too much oil pressure,but,if it's not leaking any oil you should be alright.....jman

Old 11-30-2002, 02:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Not for very long, say about 15 minutes or so.

Quick Reply: Will this damage my engine?