Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Pipes - Which is the best for a Wolv / Warrior?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2000, 10:31 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife wants more power out of her 95 Wolverine so I plan to get her an aftermarket pipe. I will be getting a K&N Jet Kit and Air Filter to go along with this(oppinons on the kit and filter are welcome). Which pipe is going to go along with this setup best. I want the most power for my money. I need some tips from people based on real world experience and not just what they have read. Warrior owners feel free to respond since you have practically the same engine. Please help me to make the right choice so that I won't have to sleep in the dog house.

Old 04-04-2000, 11:07 AM
Pro Rider

Yes im not sure if I can help but im gonna try. I have a '99 Wolverine. I chose the SuperTrapp pipe and UNI filter. And had some custome jetting done as well. This setup worked quite nicely. As far as a power increase? Yes I can tell a big difference almost all the way through my powerband! It's a little louder but I almost like it that way. Compared to stock I can race my brothers '98 Wolverine. And pull out infront of him by a couple quad lengths. Until we are on a LONG straight away and somehow he manages to catch me. We havent figured it out yet but his gearing must be ever so slightly different. But anyways I like this setup and would recommend it to anyone else interested. I can even get SOME roost......I thought that was rather impressive of a 4X4 but maybe im making a big deal of nothing. But yes the power increase IS noticeable. Good choice. Extra power. Guess thats all I can say? =-)

'99 Wolverine UFO handguards, SuperTrapp pipe, skid plate, UNI filter, Custom Jetting

'00 Warrior Skid plate + Bumper

Old 04-04-2000, 10:06 PM
Range Rover

I also have a 95 Wolverine with a lot of mods on it now. Some people dont know it but the 95's have a different carb than the 96 and up bikes.
Please learn from my experience. THE DYNOJET KIT FOR THE 95 DOESNT WORK!
Been there, done that!!! The jetting in that kit is way off and after me trying for two days I gave up. By the way , I am a licensed mechanic too.After 3 calls to Dynojet they couldnt help me also, but strangely enough they said it wasnt the kit it was my bike!!Dont think so.It works excellent with stock mikuni jets. The jet kit is so lean the bike will put you over the handlebars if you pin the throttle.On the other hand, the K&N filter works good in these bikes. Please buy the filter separetly and dont waste your money on the jet kit.As for a good pipe I like the FMF cause it sounds good and really boosts the bottom end and midrange power.It is money well spent.

Old 04-05-2000, 09:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

Sparkys,
Thanks for the post!! I am a little confused. I am not a mechanic. I just planned to buy the pipe, jet, and filter, and then take it to the local dealer to get the jetting right. Now I relate with you on the fact that the 95 Wolverine had a different carb than the 96 and up but are you saying that an aftermarket rejetting kit isn't going to work? If so how am I going to get this pipe/filter to show its full potential without rejetting? Thanks for the pipe info! I have heard enough good things now about the FMF Megamax II that I think that it will be purchased in the near future.

Old 04-05-2000, 09:40 AM
Range Rover

I've also heard that the 95 model has a different carb. The dynojet kit worked for mine (99 model). I added a Supertrapp racing series pipe and have added 12 discs. The disc systems will clog with mud and I didn't like that but I think that may be the only type of aftermarket pipe for the wolverine. For the intake side I'd recommend the proflow adapter plate with either foam or K&N. I prefer foam and think it filters the air much cleaner. Don't waste you money on the jet kit, just buy the jets you need from Dennis Kirk or someplace like that. With the pipe and filter you'll probably want to up 1 size on the pilot and maybe 2 or possibly 3 sizes on the main. You may also want to consider raising the needle a notch.

Bruce
2000 Banshee
99' 400EX
99' wolverine

Old 04-05-2000, 01:04 PM
Range Rover

Most people will disagree but I really like the COBRA pipes. I've tried the Supertrapp and the COBRA on the same warrior and truthfully could not tell any difference between the two. The Supertrapp was alittle louder with 12 disc's but the COBRA is about a thrid of the price. I agree with forget the jet kit. Save your money by buying the jets and filter seperate.

Old 04-05-2000, 03:36 PM
Trailblazer

hunterjody,
A couple of things that nobody has mentioned might help. Don't forget about modifying the air box. If you know you will never be in really deep water, cut 6 or 8 1" holes and install filtered plugs...more air+more gas=more power. You might also consider a torque stuffer. They are supposed to give you more low end torque. These are the mods I made to my warrior. FMF pipe (I use the 9 discs that came with it), torque stuffer, 6 1" holes in airbox lid, up one size on pilot, down one notch on the needle, K&N filter, and went from 145 to 160 on the main jet (it doesn't sputter but I am going to try a 155 and see if it it might be better) . I agree with the others, dont waste your money on the kit, buy the filter of your choice and individual jets maybe 3 or 4 sizes bigger and it's all trial and error from there. I did all of the mods at the same time so I can't tell you how any one thing affected the performance. I can tell you that I am very satisfied with the overall increase.

Old 04-05-2000, 03:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Folks, I sure do appreciate the great response. This forum is great, and I hope to be a help to other ATV fans in the future. ASFASTASU, can you tell me which Cobra pipe that you had such good results with. I think they sell about three different ones. I still hope I get some more post here on the jetting issue that SPARKYS mentioned. I am still trying to understand how to make sure that I don't get the wrong jet kit since the 95 carb was different than the 96 and up. Thanks again...

Old 04-05-2000, 03:47 PM
Pro Rider

do get the jet kit, it worked greay with my 98 wolverine but only after I added more air flow by mods. to the air box.

Old 04-05-2000, 10:01 PM
Range Rover

One thing I didnt tell you before about the carb on the 95's is they are a 36mm mechanical flatslide with an accelerator pump.The 96 and up bikes use a 34mm CV carb.The 95 carbs have better throttle response cause of the acc. pump.This might not make sense, but you can see all the mods on my bike at the bottom of this reply, and I am still running the stock jetting!!!I've tried up and down on the jet sizes and the stock setup works best even with a lot of mods. This is partly because the flatslide carbs deliver the fuel differently than the CV carbs. I know it doesnt make sense but its true. If you dont believe me ask Thumper 4x4. He has a highly modified bike and he also uses the stock setup.His bike has so much power he had to put a manual clutch on it cause the centrifucal clutch couldnt take it!!!Anyway the setup should be: 137.5 main jet
40 pilot jet and the needle in the 2nd groove from the top.The only thing you might have to adjust is the mixture screw. Trust me you will see a big benefit from the pipe and other mods.Mine will stand on end in second gear now with a small tug on the handlebars.

Quick Reply: Pipes - Which is the best for a Wolv / Warrior?