Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor tranny, 02 conversion questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2002, 12:03 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor tranny, 02 conversion questions

Hey guys,
I know this has been all over the forums, but when I did a search I only found one past post. What I'm looking for is the complete parts list needed for the 02 gear set swap to an 01. Can you just swap in second and third, or do you need to swap all the gears? I know that there definitely will be a waiting period so I'd like to order now. I'm not in a hurry, got a few months till racing season.
I'm just looking to find out what exactly I'm going to need and maybe what I can expect to spend. I know that there are a few of you out there that have done it. I just hope I have better luck than swytak and eraptoid.

thanks for any help guys!

Old 11-22-2002, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider

WWW.POWROLL.COM for the complete parts list
hope ths helps[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-22-2002, 01:31 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Raptorguy
I just hope I have better luck than swytak and eraptoid.
What is that supposed to mean???
"TOID"

Old 11-22-2002, 02:07 AM
Range Rover

TOID,
All I meant was by the sounds of your guys post was that you guys weren't having the easiest of times with your transmissions and repairs. You've followed alot of your post and was trying to find them in the search engine to help me with my transmission. No disrespect was meant, just that many of your guy's post sounded frustrated and displeased with back order situations from good old Yamaha.
There was no attempt at conveying any type of dig towards anyone. Just stating that I hopefully would not run into the frustration of others. I would not waste space on these forums for such trivial conversations which so often seems to occur on here. Its a great resource when its used properly.
RSO660R thanks for the info, I appreciate it! I'll check it out.

derek

Old 11-22-2002, 02:33 AM
Pro Rider

I did not take it in a bad way, I was just wondering what exactly you meant by it. You are absolutely correct in the frustration that I incurred while trying to get the parts. You probably won't have the delay on getting parts as alot of us did. The "big rash" of tranny breakdowns are about over now I think.
But other than that, everything else went relatively smooth. Oh, maybe not. I forgot about the "shift shaft" problem that I had during the installation too. Had to pull the clutch cover to re-align the shift shaft because of improper meshing of the gears.

You will indeed have to change out the entire gearset, you can not just change one or two of the gears, they are not compatible!

Good luck, I wish you the best!
"TOID"

Old 11-22-2002, 02:44 AM
Range Rover

TOID,

Sorry to jump on you like that. Just seen too much of that garbage here before. Its a pain to weed through the useless posts to get to the quality ones. I just misinterpretted it. Thanks for the info. Did you order from a local dealer or like Yamaha of Troy or Riva with their online microfiche?
RSO660R the Powroll link was great, thanks!

Once again guys thanks for all the great info,someone always come through, you guys make these boards worth it! Its appreciated!

derek

Old 11-22-2002, 02:55 AM
Pro Rider

I just ordered from my local dealer. Since the parts were on back order, it didn't matter who I ordered them from anyway. No one in the U.S. of A. had the parts that I needed! They were waiting to be made in Japan!

Each dealer has a parts finder on their computer, if it's in the States, they can get it in a matter of a few days. Hopefully you won't have to wait for the parts these days.

Has your tranny "gone", or are you changing them before it goes? If it's the latter, you won't be as frustrated as us guys that it went "Kaplunk" on during the middle of riding season.
"TOID"

Old 11-22-2002, 09:35 PM
Range Rover

TOID,

No my tranny hasn't puked yet. I just finished my first year of racing and I don't want to chance it anymore. I'd rather do it as preventative maintenance than as a matter of fixing a devastating chunkage. Do you know of any literature out there about the swap. I've got a good machine shop that is willing to do it. But they haven't done one yet so they want to get as much info as possible before digging into it. I imagine its just a straight tranny rebuild, just with new parts. I don't think there is any custom modification.

Thanks for all the help, its great,

derek

Old 11-25-2002, 02:59 PM
Pro Rider

Raptorugy, since you are close to PA, you may want to talk to Mickey Dunlap, I thought I remember seeing a post by him that he would do the tranny, piston & cam all in one shot for $895. That's a good bang for the buck. You can probably do the piston & cam yourself but the tranny is a major teardown that is best left to experience.

Old 11-25-2002, 03:03 PM
Range Rover

Chimmer,

Thanks for the heads up info. Right now I've got a price of $500 just for parts. Don't know who much labor is going to be involved. I was talking to my shop about doing some headwork at the same time so this option really peaks my interest. Does Mickey Dunlop have a website, or do you have a number that I can contact at? Because I'd be real interested in that package.

thanks again

derek

Quick Reply: Raptor tranny, 02 conversion questions