Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

POPPING & Sometimes BACKFIRING from silencer!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2002, 01:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default POPPING & Sometimes BACKFIRING from silencer!!!!

Well i am getting a popping some time when i have it in nuetral and i rev at a steady 1000 rpm to 2000 rpm, and when i let off i get a pop or backfire from silencer (Changes)...I posted this week about a hesation in the acceleration when taking off so i removed the air box because we assumed it was rich,Will did that and it dident do it anymore..The other night i read the dyno troubleshooting sheet and said if i had a popping coming from the silencer on deceleration (like going down a steep hill in third it would pop all the way down) then to check if if i had any airleaks or loose tubes and if i dident i may be running a little rich...Bike ran alot better with lid off but when i brought it back to my garage and started it and checked the filter with it on and off to see how it would react,that is when i experienced the popping an backfires (Had my face close to the open filter and that popped in my face) P>s is the popping from engine just because it's getting used to the new air flow....I also put in a new sparkplug....Hope you can help....

Makuni jets 150/155
2 1/2 turns
No lid,jet kit,K&N Pro flow..

Old 12-13-2002, 02:18 PM
Pro Rider

you are lean. re-read my post to you last time.

Old 12-13-2002, 02:29 PM
Pro Rider

You might want to see if your parking brake is working properly. [Revlimiter]

Old 12-13-2002, 02:30 PM
Pro Rider

well blueleader i up to here!!!!!!i am going to change my jet kit to dyno stage 2 and 148/150 2 1/2 turns fuel mixture and no lid....Put in a new plug and the thing was as white as when i put it in...Let you know how it goes...

Old 12-13-2002, 03:56 PM
Pro Rider

well, the 148/150 dynojets and needles are richer than the 150/155 mikuni setup. It will run better. if you say your plug was white, and you are refering to the porceline, you are not reading your plug correctly. the base ring will show you what your combustion chamber looks like.

Old 12-13-2002, 05:45 PM
Pro Rider

Blueleader i actually e-mailed the dynojet tech help and he responded, he said i should be using a larger main jet like a 165,170,175, and then asked what pipe i was running...What you guy,s think.

Old 12-13-2002, 06:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What jets or jet kit are you using right now your sig. says dynojet?What needles?What pilot?
Sounds like your lean at least your idle mixture is, your main jets would have no effect on the problem your discribing.
If your using dynojet kit 148/150 mains w/o lid 3 turns on idle mix screws.
Mikuni 160/165/170, 22.5 pilot 3 turns, 25 pilot 1.5-2 turns

Old 12-13-2002, 06:42 PM
Pro Rider

well i thought i had a dynojet in there but i dont know now!I looked at the kit recentley and i had all the parts(Bad Mechanic) ...and all of a sudden it started running like crap! so i started reading into my problems and this is what i came up with ,I am going to put the original dynojet in and because i dont know what's in there now,I talked to the tech and and this is what he said to run if im running with no lid..170/175 main jets ,Needle in groove 3,and 3 turns out in the fuel mixture screw....he said best way to run the raptor,Doesent understand why yoshimura gives the specs that they do,Like 2 1 1/2 holes and a trimmed snorkel,(I know dynojet say's that but the specs i am giving you are with no lid!) So i going to get that done this week let you know how it go's..what do you guy's think..I e-mailed them and talked over the computer and one of the tech said to call him back...i hope he's right!!!!!!!

Old 12-13-2002, 07:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

03 170/175 might be a little rich but should run alright, better to start rich and work down.I would put 25 pilot jets in while your at it.Are you doing the work yourself?L&L motorsports in littlerock is suppose to be getting a dyno soon.Run yours with those jets for now if it feels close and when he gets his dyno set up maybe we could go in on some dyno time.

Old 12-13-2002, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider

hey i thought that to so i emailed him and asked if he was sure...what are 25 pilot jets..Thanks..Let's do that for sure DYNO!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: POPPING & Sometimes BACKFIRING from silencer!!!!