Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

raptor exhaust: sound

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2002, 07:25 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default raptor exhaust: sound

I have read most if not all the posts about raptor pipes, but i still have no clue which one to get. I hear a lot of people say its just personal preference, but the only exhaust i have heard on a raptor is the yoshi, so i am in no position to have a preference. Thats why im askin so people that have heard different pipe or owned them can help me decide what is best for me. I'm mainly interested in the sound for the most part, but it must also perform good. I have the money for a full exhuast but im not sure if its worth the extra money. I have a friend with an FMF on his 400ex and i love the sound. The quads are quite a bit different, so i dont think i would get the same sound from my engine as my friend did from his 400 engine. It has a deep, low muffled sound. It doesn't have the bark like a yoshi pipe has, thats what i dont want. I want something with a deep low rumble, kind of like a ford cobra with borla mufflers. the yoshi reminds me of an import race car. My local dealer told me that all open end caps sound about the same and all closed end caps sound about the same, i have no idea if its true or not, but the yoshi i heard on the raptor sounded nothing like the fmf on my friends EX. I don't want it to have an obnoxiously loud high pitched sound, it must be deep and low. Something that has a similar muffled sound as the stock exhaust but deeper and somewhat louder.

I read the post and i just go in circles, the minute i think i have found what im looking for i read another post and it counters what i thought. I see way to many people that are brand loyal to their pipe as i do honda people brand loyal to their quad. I have no way of hearing other raptors with aftermarket exhaust, so i would greatly appreciate everyone's advice on which pipe it is that will give me the sound i am looking for. thx

Old 12-13-2002, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider

I've heard lots of pipes and can tell you this much, there are two kinds of silencer sounds, one is the sharp - flat - popping sound; which I think sucks and there is the deep sounding - almost a throaty type sound. ps didn't mean to put deep and throaty too close together.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. But I think you would like the Yosh. The white brothers on the other hand had the flat popping sound to it, which I didn't like. Oh well, you make the call[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-13-2002, 11:54 PM
Trailblazer

"It doesn't have the bark like a yoshi pipe has, thats what i dont want." I heard the yoshi pipe and i thought it had a barking sound to it, kinda like a popping sound but not a high pitched popping. I have been interested in the MBRP, trinity, and LRD pipes, but i really dont know how they sound, i wish people would post some sound clips or something. The trinity pipe offers a 30 day money back gaurantee, which i could install and if i didnt like the sound i could send it back. But i have heard nothing but good things about the MBRP, and it looks great.
What is the best price i could get on the MBRP full system??? I looked on their webpage and it didnt list any prices. but im not wanting to spend $500 on a full system. Is there any way i could get the head pipe ceramic or jet coated or whatever it is by MBRP so that the shiny finish will not turn an ugly rust looking color or any color at all, just stay chrome looking?????
thx

Old 12-14-2002, 12:08 AM
Trailblazer

the trinity pipe is not for you, i hear they are very loud. LRD pipes sounds like a good pipe for you. i would also look into MBRP too.

Old 12-14-2002, 12:35 AM
Elite Pro Rider

03raptorle- Here goes these are pipes that i had had on my quad

1, gyr-t fits good, sounds loud did not like the mounting rings with rubber on it.
2. T4- good little pipe silencer seemed small
3. Trinity- good looking pipe, heavy dual pipes hurt modded machine
4. mr. bills pipe- did not like the springs showing, jet coating okay rather have polished stainless steel, loud throaty sound
5.yoshi- they are everywhere. A good pipe though
7. MBRP- Shiney stainless steel, clean classy. Sound does not annoy you like some. Seems quiet while cruising, barks when run hard. At glamis i was impressed when michealAZ was racing banshees on my quad up Brawleys slide

I have had and tried a lot of pipes. I have run mbrp for the last couple of months off and on. Raptorrc has loaned me one when i have had a drag race to go to. That should tell you something. I broke down and ordered one today from Raptorrc. Mbrp made the full bore due to rrc's and my testing of it. If you plan on building up the full bore is the way to go. No compromises were made on it. It plain works!!!!!

big gun, dmc, white brothers etc at this point do not intrest me enough to even try one on. I can tell you that a big gun on a DS is OBNOXIOUS and most ds owners do not like big gun due to crappy support from the company.

mbrp- A company that likes what they are doing, enthusastic people. Give them a try. Not a shamelesss plug cause the product really speaks for itself. New to the ATV game and done right the first time.

Old 12-14-2002, 12:56 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Big Gun is the loudest pipe I've ever heard. Yoshimura sounds ok. A little high ptched but not bad. I like the deep sound of my Alba pipe. What sounds one way to one person may not sound the same to you. It's going to be very hard to decide on a pipe by opinions from others about how a pipe sounds. You may or may not be able to get an idea what an Alba pipe sounds like on a Raptor from the videos in my signature. The DS in the videos has a white brothers R4. Thats all I can do for you as far as listening to what a particular pipe sounds like. Good luck.

Old 12-14-2002, 01:22 AM
Pro Rider

03RaptorLE

I got the LRD pipe on mine and it got real deep throaty sound. It is not very loud at all. I used to have WB E-serie and they are loud till I put a silencer core to quite it down. I didn't like the E-serie due to lack of punch. Once I bought LRD, it really woke up and real meat deep throaty sound and my friends really like the sound then E-serie that I used to have.

So there you have it from LRD pipe owner....

Good luck of finding the pipe that you want to get.....

Old 12-14-2002, 01:26 AM
Pro Rider

I was at my local dealer and I heard 2 raptors riding around in the back and I really liked the sound. It was not loud but a deeper sounding rumble. They both had White Brothers E series. I dont know how good they are for performance for a Raptor but they sounded good.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-14-2002, 03:07 AM
Trailblazer

So 14min, the MBRP pipe has better performance then the trinity pipe? How much does it cost?

Old 12-14-2002, 03:47 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

My next pipe will be the MBRP. I have heard nothing but good things about it. I also like the idea of NO packing or rivets to leak little black smutty stuff out of. I have neither heard nore seen one in person but I like the idea of it being less loud, which everyone says is true. I also think the Sparks and LRD sytems would be a good choice for you just going by sound, they are both kinda low pitched. The Sparks however seemed louder than my FMF, which is loud itself. I can't remember how loud the LRD was.

Quick Reply: raptor exhaust: sound