Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee top-end rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 01:21 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Banshee top-end rebuild

After winter break I am going to rebuild my banshee's topend. I've rebuilt many topends but never a Banshee.
So i just want to know what should i look out for? Any weird, odd things that i need to be aware of?
I really don't want to mess it up. Cost too much money to mess anything up.LOL
Also would i be able to tell if the lower end is in need of a rebuild just by having te cyclinders off?
Thanks

Old 12-17-2002, 02:56 PM
Pro Rider

With the Cylinder(s) off you should be able to do a slight inspection of the bottom end. If either of the rods have exesive play or the crank does not turn verry easily, you may want to go farther down. Just be saure as in any engine rebuild to keep everything VERY clean. this is the most crutial part in a rebuild. Dont get highcompression gaskets becasue they tend to leak and not last as long.

Old 12-17-2002, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info. I always try my best to keep the work area clean, but my family likes to make a mess out of our garage, so i will have to get on their cases.LOL

Old 12-18-2002, 05:17 PM
Range Rover

One thing that seems pretty insignificant, but proved otherwise on mine when I did the top end.... don't forget to make sure that the lower rubber cooland plugs are in your cylinders. Mine were removed by the machine shop, but he didn't give them back in my box of parts, or tell me that he had removed them.

Fortunately I realized that they were missing when I went to reassemble, and I bought new ones at the stealership. Without these, coolant can get into your crankcase.

Also, it doesn't matter which way the cyl gaskets are installed, one will be sunny side up, one will be sunny side down. I wondered if the sealing material had to be the same on both sides, and found that it really didn't matter.

You'll find that its really a pretty simple job... good luck,
Dean