Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Help getting the warrior goin' agian

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 02:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default warrior a-arm and electrical

Well, the 87 warrior had been runing strong for about 1 1/2 years after the rebuild. The stuff happend. I have bent and replaced 2 upper A-Arms and at 115 dollars a piece it is tearing me apart. Now another had bent, grrr. It is still down and i am contemplating on trying to get it fixed. Should a good shop be able to rebend the bent one to the same degree as the other? And if so, would they beable to weld 3 reinforcing plates on the ends of each, with out destroying the ball joints? (the stock 87 warrior had removable ball joints, but the new replacemets have the joints preinstalled)

I am also suffering sever battery drainage. Even while riding it will not charge. What kind of test should i run on the rectifire regular and generator? (the battery is new, and full)

Lastly it will not start with the start switch. I have replaced the Silinold when we did the frame down rebuild, and have also replaced the starting-curcit relay switch. It does click, and if i jump the relay it will turn over. But i am not to keen on buying ANOTHER silinold after a little over a year. Do these parts carry any kind of warrenty? OR is there something else that i should be inspecting and checking over.

O/T- Our wolvrine is running poorly nowdays. After it warms up to operating temperature, it cuts out. When ever 1/2 to full throttle is applied it cuts out, like it is starving gas. I am going to check the tank fuel filter and clean the carb out.

-thank you-

Old 12-18-2002, 03:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default Help getting the warrior goin' agian

Update: studied the warrior some last night. I think it is time to replace the starting silionld agian... grr.

I am sure there are a few guru's out there with some suggestions about my other problems. Speak up please.

Old 12-18-2002, 03:59 PM
Pro Rider

my warrior also wont start and I think my solednoid is fryed, how much are they. As for your wolverine, do they have the same parking brake rev limiter? take that completely off. And if its not that it has to be the carb or a POS plug. Possibly a clogged exhaust or intake.

Old 12-18-2002, 04:10 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, the wolvy does have the parking brake POS. I will run a check on all the above.

I think the silinold are about 40 dollars. I think.

Old 12-18-2002, 04:41 PM
Pro Rider

carb Problem? check those float bowls.
won't start? check the cables...i lost my bungy for the battery...after several rides with the battery shifting around...my terminals cracked. a quick visual inspection did not reveal this. look carefully. also the wire that feeds your plug can get snagged on a branch and A.) get completely yanked out from the plug. or B.) get pulled back enough that it looks like it's fine...but it's not making a connection.

2nd mod on any Yamaha...after you've replaced the stock air filters...is to remove the E-Brake. if your handle bars wack a tree or you roll it over. you will crack the harness and you will be stuck in the woods. that thing is worthless. immmediatly replace with GYT-R yz400 quick adjust clutch perch and rear brake block-off plate and thank me later.

Our warrior is an 01...and these are problems that i have come across first hand.

good luck