Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

BANSHEE HEADS!! WORTH IT TO MOD EM?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2002, 10:05 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BANSHEE HEADS!! WORTH IT TO MOD EM?

Bansheeman98,

In my posting, I was not saying that Cool Heads aren't worth the money. In fact, the implications of my posting is that they are worth the money.

If I can keep my combustion chamber area temperatures cooler by using a cool head, then I think that is certainly a benefit. When you factor in motor mods that generate more horsepower, and the related heat associated with it, I think they are well worth the money. Another added benefit is being able to tailor the compression to fit a particular type of racing or riding by simply changing domes.

I have also had two occasions where I would have had to replace the stock head had I not been running my Pro-Design Cool Head. Instead, I simply had to replace the domes. Saved me money by not having to buy a new head, and have it recut to increase my compression, and have the less than ideal chamber and squish reworked.

Outofcontrol,
My Banshee has the water pump impeller from Pro-Design. My son's Banshee, as noted, is all stock, and I don't know about the 3rd Banshee. As far as I know, it was using the stock water pump impeller.

Roostking,
All the quads were tuned right and running right. And you are correct, 200'F is not overheating. However, neither is 150-160 degrees. In fact, based on my limited research and experience, more HP can be had at the lower temperatures, plus engine longevity is increased.

Bottom line is this: If you feel that the aftermarket heads are a waste of money, then by all means don't buy an aftermarket head. I, for one, do feel that they have some positive benefits. I don't know of any negative effects from these heads.

In fact, I will be replacing the stock head on my son's Banshee later tonight or tomorrow morning. I just today picked up a Noss Machine Performance Head and will be replacing the stock head with this, combined with 19cc domes.

Noss Machine

Regards,

Rog

Old 12-21-2002, 05:15 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

RC350, great response and very true. Lower heat can = more hp/engine life

Back to the question. No I would not buy that head for $80. Have your head worked to -.040 and you will notice a difference for sure. Its one of the best low buck mods out there. If you got $100 you might be able to find a machine shop that can mill your head, advance your timing, and lighten your flywheel. Now that is bang for the buck!

RoostKing...

Old 12-21-2002, 02:26 PM
Pro Rider

i don't know bout quad engines but on car engines i happen to think that cooler means more wear, recently in auto shop i was tearing down an engine, and checking it and the cylinder that was the closer to the water pump (first to get cold water from the radiator) was the most worn upon noticing this we asked the teacher bout it and he got out a book that actually showed that cylinder wear DECREASES with higher temps, but u do get more power when the engine is cooler

Old 01-24-2003, 08:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

There is more wear on an engine when running too cold or too hot because the piston and ring to cylinder clearance is designed so the parts fit right after the engine is warmed up. Banshees tend to run too hot in a stock configuration so when they are modified to produce more horsepower, they can run way too hot. Remember Physics...energy produces heat. So if you are producing more energy, you should be trying to remove heat more effectively.

Old 01-24-2003, 09:44 AM
Pro Rider

I shaved my head,lightened the flywheel,advanced the timing and my banshee can run with or out almost any 686 built including mine. Call kenzcycle tech in mesa,az 480-962-1714 ask for ken,he can help you!!