Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

preator was real impresive

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2003, 03:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default preator was real impresive

I have been reading all this about the Predator's and have raced a couple (only on the flats.)

On the flats the Predator is fast (stock). If I were the type that bought a quad and would not do anything to it, I think the Predator is a great choice (haven't seen them climb steep dunes yet though.) There was a Predator (I am sure was not stock) at Pismo over X-mas that I did see taking it to a lot of Raptor's. Another Predator was at the drags and didn't have nearly the speed as the one beating the Raptor's (which tells me the Predator must have been modified.)

Wouldn't it be great if the stock DS and Raptor came with the 11:1 compression the Predator has. I modified because I wanted to feel comfortable that I could make it up any hill under any conditions (soft / light sand, etc.) Oh, and, I wanted to do a little better at the drags.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

If the DS and Raptor came with higher compression from the factory they would be monsters out of the box. I have to hand it to Polaris, I think they have done a great job regardless of who beat who.

Old 01-06-2003, 04:08 PM
Elite Pro Rider

the dealer that is local where we ride let me ride his predator and it gave my wifes ds all it wanted and i have it geared good for there if it was stock gearing she would have lost. but it pulled strong. i think people will be getting a lot of surprizes when they race. and it does come down to rider, plus rider size. put a another 100 pounds on any bike, hugh difference. 150lb, rider verus 250 you see that a lot. he did have all the aftermarket there is for the predator on his gearing pipe carb mount filter.

Old 01-06-2003, 04:53 PM
Pro Rider

i guess killing them was a bit strong. they could run with and then pass the 2 piped raptors out there.

if your cutting on the DS's i don't know how close a stock one or a piped one runs to a preator.

crafty and i need to get on a stock raptor and a DS and see which one is faster bone stock.

crafty do you know where a stock DS is? i would like to know which one can win.

Old 01-06-2003, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider

I can answer that. If the two riders are equaly skilled and are close in weight. The Raptor will edge out in front by about a bike lenght. revlimiter on the DS kills it. Get rid of that and you can swap the results. But then you could say the DS would no longer be stock.

Old 01-06-2003, 07:35 PM
Pro Rider

As far as the preditor. I race one at Dumont weekend before last. It stayed right beside me through the woops and about 1/4 of the way up the hill then i started pulling away. The guy went back down and left. So I guess he found out what he wanted to know. So did I. I was pretty impressed. To be honest, I though the preditor did better than I though it would. Sure would like to ride one some day and see for my self.

Old 01-06-2003, 07:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

What my brother said. (eaglecollector)

Naw, I wasn't cracken on the DS, whats to crack? Realy? I like em. I'd buy me a Baja if I could. And a Banshee, and a Preator. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-06-2003, 07:44 PM
Trailblazer

i have to disagree with EAGELCOLLECTOR. it is pretty cloes till about 4 th gear and the DStart to pull away. i have a raptor and hate to say it. i have raced my friends DS on pavement (bth stock) and same results everytime. now if we race on grass or somekind of field i can get him pretty good sometimes. but if there is enough room he starts reelin me in. you can say i suck at drivin or whatever but i can hold my own. i have beat a lot of other raptors. not startin a flame just results i have had.

Old 01-06-2003, 07:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

bad660, were not talkin mile long drags, were talking the usual sand drag lengths 300-660'. If you want who is faster top speed stock, the DS is faster. Open them up on a flat stretch of highway and that will be the result everytime. Get rid of the rev limiter on the DS and it will pull faster and longer on the Raptor top speed.

Old 01-06-2003, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider

Wow, look at that. A DS guy giving props to a Raptor and a Raptor guy ging props to a DS.....Gota love that.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-06-2003, 07:54 PM
Trailblazer

okay sorry didnt understand i agree with ya now

Quick Reply: preator was real impresive