Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior cutting out...tried all the usual things!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2003, 12:08 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warrior cutting out...tried all the usual things!

yes, previous owner put in a D&G exhaust, Uni filter, and I can only assume a jet kit. So the jetting COULD be way off, but judging by how old the exhaust and filter are, it looks like it at least used to run right. It runs pretty good at idle, maybe a slight stumble/miss. But w/ throttle is just completely falls flat.

Colby

Old 01-09-2003, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider

I'm sure you've checked this, but just in case....where is your air/fuel screw turned to?

Old 01-09-2003, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

is it an adjustable exhaust?? with the diffuser disc? if it is take the end cap of so its a starght threw flow and see if it helps incase someting is causing it to get 2 much backpressure and then it wont run... and then the jetting means its cold the cold weather makes a quad runs rich.. my warrior is runnin rich right now just havnt adjusted the jets... does it cut out with the Choke on?

Old 01-09-2003, 12:16 AM
Range Rover

Actually, I haven't checked the air screw. That's the large one facing down, right? How many turns out should it be?
Doesn't the choke make it run even richer? I haven't tried it, but I think it'll cut out w/ or w/o the choke on...

Colby

Old 01-09-2003, 12:18 AM
Range Rover

It does not have a diffuser disc, but it has a big snap ring in the rear that allows me to pull out the silencer innards. Maybe I should try pulling the air filter lid and maybe even the filter to make it run leaner, see if that fixes the problem.

Colby

Old 01-09-2003, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider

try cleaning the filter... and opening up the exhause and the air screw...

Old 01-09-2003, 12:36 AM
Pro Rider

Yep, on the bottom. Mine is 2.25 out, but I've got the DJ in it with ProFlow and modded airbox. I ride at between 3,000 and 5,000 feet... our temps have been between 30 and 50. My main is a DJ 145 and my clip is in the #4 position. I'm not sure how these numbers compare to where you are, so the 2.25 figure for screw turn out may not even be close to what you need. All I know is that I've felt that very bog that you have described, and messed with my air/fuel screw (everything else being set per spec) until that bog went away.

I use kind of a neat chart when I'm trying to diagnose carb problems....here it is if you'd like to take a look.

carbs scroll down to the charts, the rest of the stuff is redundant, I'm sure.

Old 01-09-2003, 01:05 AM
Range Rover

one of my riding buddies had a similar problem with his Warrior when we were out on the trails. We didn't have the tools to fix it. His tank was about 1/4 full we filled it will my go go juice either 112 or 114 octane. About a half hour of putting around and playing with the throttle and it started running good again. That was in August no probs since

Old 01-09-2003, 01:10 AM
Range Rover

This obviously won't help if the jetting is wrong. But it did clean it out. He did get the white smoke too.

Old 01-09-2003, 01:49 AM
Pro Rider

1) Try this - while it is idling, tap the throttle to get the RPMs to rev a little bit and then fall back to normal. If, as the RPMs drop back down to idle, it seems to "hang up" and idle fast for a second or so, they your idle is way lean. Adjust the idle mixture screw to make it more rich. If the opposite happens, the RPMs drop back to normal and keep dropping and it idles slower than normal for a second or so, then you are too rich. Turn the idle mixture screw to lean out the idle.

2) Does your carb have a vacuum slide inside? If so, maybe this is stuck. It's kind of like the transfer between idle and full throttle (Main Jets). If it is stuck - that could be causing your problem as you hit 1/4 throttle.

Just some ideas, good luck!

RR1

Quick Reply: Warrior cutting out...tried all the usual things!