Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor wheel spacers

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2003, 12:24 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor wheel spacers

Ive heard that wheel spacers are not a good idea for a quad that gets big air and mx's. I read a web site that contains a project called "Project Raptor" in which they put Sand-Sport wheel spacers on their Raptor and they said they love them. They also say that a guy that races a 400ex has been riding on them for over a year without a single problem. Anybody know anything about this brand and style of spacers? www.Sand-Sport.com is their site.

Old 01-11-2003, 12:24 PM
Pro Rider

The Sand Sport spacers are the strongest spacers out there. They are machined from a solid block of aluminum. They are absolutely beautiful. I have a set on the rear of my '02 Raptor. The spacers themselves will never break, what you need to worry about is the axle. By widening the rear end you are putting more leverage on the axle and it is easier to bend it. I am 230 pounds and I have bottomed my supension out a few times landing flat on a tabletop and haven't had any problems yet. The Raptor is known for having a soft axle, so there is a "possibility" of bending it, but if you are not a fatty like me, or if you don't catch much rally big air, you will be fine. The difference in handling is very noticable (no more 2-wheeled corners). I give them ***** (5-stars)

RR1

Old 01-11-2003, 02:04 PM
Trailblazer

What I really want to do is get the Durablu +4 axle and get the spacers for the front. What do you think of this idea? All i ride pretty much is mx tracks, so everytime i ride i land on the flat of the table tops. Will these spacers work for constant mx riding? Would be awsome if i didnt have to spend the money on new a-arms. One more question, how much wider should the front be than the back? Thanks.

Old 01-12-2003, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider

I agree with RaptorRacer these are really good wheel spacers. I just put a full set on mine (front & back) they did make the front suspension softer because of the extra leverage, but after placing the preload on the max I have enough resistance not to bottom out on small jumps. I also notice more bump steer, and it hooks the front tires more when turning. The last thing is they look pretty good some people dont notice them until I tell them because they blend into the hub. If you are going to get any spacers these are the ones. If you got any other questions let me know

Old 01-12-2003, 12:59 AM
Pro Rider

If you are getting a +4 axle, then the +2 on each side of the front will even out. Using them on the front will not harm the wheels, hubs, spindles, or A-arms. It will change 2 main things besides width, though.
1) It will put more leverage on your shocks, making them seem softer. As previously stated - cranking up the preload adjusters will help this unless you are over 200 pounds. If you are over 200, you will probably bottom the front on anything over medium sized jumps.
2) It will change your steering geometry. You will experience more bump steer, as in steerihng feedback. You hit a rut or a bump an dit will try to twist the handlebars. It will put more stress on your crappy stock tie-rods. These should be replaced with some heavy-duty solid tie rods. I just bought American Star Pro-Racer tie rods. They are super sweet lookin, polished stainless, but I haven't received them yet so I can't talk about their fit or function. You can pick them up for under $150 on e-bay or some mail-order places. Because of the extra bump-steer you will also want a steering damper, ~$130 for a PEP or Denton. It will make a huge difference.

Now you have to think? How much are the spacers? $200 $250 And figure ~ $150 for the tierods ( a necessity) plus $130 for the damper (recommended) and you are talking more than the price of new a-arms. You can find a few different brands in the $4-500 range. Then think of this - how many pros and A-class riders do you see using front-wheel-spacers. None. They all use wider a-arms. I hope this long rambling helps in some way. Good Luck!

RR1

(p.s. MX season is still months away, at least here in MI. That should give you the time to save your pennies for the a-arms)

Old 01-13-2003, 07:42 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks RaptorRacer1, makes since to just go with the +4 axle and the new a-arms. Little more pricey but probably a lot better purchase in the long run. New a-arms come with the tie rods and everything else I'll need? Thanks.

Old 01-15-2003, 01:51 AM
Pro Rider

Yes, most A-arms come with everything you need. Just be sure to ask if you need to "ream the spindles" to make them fit. Some of the older/cheaper a-arms use ball joints that use a different taper than the Yamaha steering spindles. Just ask, and don't bother with buyiong any that are not the correct taper.

RR1

Old 02-09-2005, 02:38 AM
Pro Rider

I know that this is an old thread, but i was wondering if anyone has tried the G Force wheel spacers that rockymountain makes.

In the future, I'm thinking of getting the G Force + 2-4 axle, and the front wheel spacers for my Raptor which is on the way. I've heard from another person here that rockymountain puts a lifetime warrantee on their axles... I'm going to call to double check.