Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor clutch & service manual

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2003, 09:38 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor clutch & service manual

I am getting ready to replace my clutch with a GYTR and I am doing my homework first. I recall a long time ago I read a post that someone reported that the service manual had the described sequence of fiber to metal disks in a different order than what was on the bike, thus an error in the service manual? Does anyboby recall this, or know for a fact if this was true? I know that I bought one of the first service manuals out, and it is printed wrong regarding the rear shock adjustments for the compression & rebound adjustments ( vs the owners manual).
Thanks for any advice,

Old 01-19-2003, 10:37 AM
Pro Rider

I havent heard anything about this. When I get a chance I will look at the manual and the pdf to see if they are same. I also have mine apart so I will check. give me a few hours.

Old 01-19-2003, 10:52 AM
Pro Rider

In order from back to front:
fiber
plate
small fiber
cushion spring
plate
fiber
plate
fiber
plate
fiber
plate
fiber
plate
fiber
plate
small fiber

Old 01-19-2003, 07:42 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks, that is the same order that is shown in the manual. In digging through my service book, I found the actual post I was remembering. It was from Joey900RR, and went like this.

"Here's another tip that I learned today the hardway.
When your putting the clutch back in don't follow the service manual. There is a mistake in the manual. I verified this with the parts fische and the way I took it apart. I left the clutch pack together and did one disc at a time and noticed that in the manual they show the cushion spring between friction plate #2 and the #2 clutch plate going from the engine side out. Now on the parts fische and the way my pack was when I took it apart that cushion spring was between clutch plate #1 and friction plate #2. Something to watch out for to save you guys time. I also put heavy duty FST clutch springs in.
I'll let you guys know how everything works tomoroow cause it's poring outside. Later "

so, now I have more facts, but even more confused & concerned.....
Help...
Could his have been built wrong, and the micro fische wrong, or the manual wrong?

Old 01-19-2003, 08:13 PM
Pro Rider

Everyone one is right, but the manual is not wrong.

They could show the cushion spring on either side of the small friction plate, since it really just fits inside the the friction plate anyway.. its all symatics

Really, the best way to put it is, "the cushion spring AND small friction plate go between clutch plate #1 and #2"