Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor reverse Engagement, How To

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 06:08 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor reverse Engagement, How To

Sorry, posted it empty somehow....

Anyway, This may be a dumb question, but I just got my dad's Raptor back together last week, and have only ridden it in first gear to make sure things are all tightened up, etc. Anyway, I noticed that reverse is above first gear, meaning, if I shift down into first, then up slightly into neutral, then if I pull up again, reverse engages. I don't even need to twist the reverse switch/cable.

My reverse cable is a bit long as well, I noticed that there is a bit of slack in the cable down by where it connects to the lever on the engine.

Here is my concern.... If I take it out and run it through the gears, I am concerned that it might try to go into reverse when I try to engage 2nd.

I know this sounds strange, but I am hoping that someone has a suggestion for me. Also, is it normal for reverse to be engaged by pulling up on the shifter? Most descriptions from other Raptor owners state that they pushed down.

Thanks for any help you can offer,
Dean

Old 01-23-2003, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider

Wow Dean...thats a strange one. I never heard of a Raptor going in reverse when shifting up from 1st. Sorry, I'm stumped!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 01-23-2003, 08:36 PM
Range Rover

Yea, me too! I initially had the shifter on the shift shaft upside down, or maybe I do now???? Should the bolt that secures the shift coupler to the shaft come through the bottom up, or should the bolt be pointing down? Maybe that is my problem???? I should have paid better attention when pulling it apart.

Is there any way to adjust the free play of the reverse switch?

Thanks,
Dean

Old 01-23-2003, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider

You are correct. You mounted your shifter wrong. The bolt should be pointing down. I would take a picture and post but I went with the Pro Design shifter.

/NotuRaptor

Old 01-23-2003, 10:24 PM
Range Rover

Ok, I got that situated, it works as it should, Reverse is down it should be. Now, I can drop right into Reverse without twisting the reverse switch. If I just grab the reverse lever while its in Neutral or First, I can't get it to move forward or back. There is slack in the cable which tells me that the lever is more forward than it should be, but I can't get it to move back at all. The bike runs fine, and even shifts into reverse without noises, wierd.

Thanks for any help you can offer,
Dean

Old 01-23-2003, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

I would make sure the cable is seated all the way in the little holder on the frame down by the motor. If thats not it then I suspect the retention spring is not hooked onto the lever. It wont hurt anything really the way it is but it could buck you off real easy should you go in reverse

Old 01-23-2003, 11:51 PM
Range Rover

Is there actually a chance of it going into reverse while in a gear higher than 1st?

Dean

Trending Topics

Old 01-23-2003, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider

yeah buddy, adjust that cable, you need that lockout!!

very important.

could get hurt in a tricky situation, or damage the trans.

good luck to ya. there are a couple raptor service manuals floating around, but i dont know where. you might try a search. it was free too.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-23-2003, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: vdubn
Is there actually a chance of it going into reverse while in a gear higher than 1st?

Dean
its impossible, the way it works I can guarantee it will not go into reverse from 2,3,4 or 5th. But you should fix it. I bet its the spring..

Old 01-24-2003, 12:08 AM
Range Rover

Where is the spring, I can't see any springs on the lever down low on the engine. The switch itself springs back when you rotate it. Should there be a spring down on the engine?

Dean

Quick Reply: Raptor reverse Engagement, How To