Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2003, 07:59 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Banshee questions

Ok
I want to sell my 250 recon and my 99 Yz 80 in about 4-6 months. I am looking for a 95-99 Banshee. Just wondering how reliable are they, I know they are fast as hell. How often do top ends haveto be replaced? Bottom end? I read in other posts that guys said even on a 3 year old top end they were running strong and reliable. Do mods change their top end life and reliablity? I have looked at the cycle trader like paper and there are a couple that have a lot of aftermarket parts on them. What ratios are you guys running for gas to oil? What types of tranny oil do you have to use? I read in another post that one guy uses Bel-Ray gear saver. i maintenence all my toys so maintence is no concern. I just want some facts from real shee owners. I also would like to make it a good purchase and have this quad to last a good number of years.

Old 01-30-2003, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider

Banshees are reliable as the owner wants them to be. Keep up with maintenance and they will love you for it.

I run 32:1 yamalube 2R and it seems to work very well. I run the gearsaver, but I think any good trans oil will work. I have read of people using atf type F in their banshee trans, but have not tried it.

I have run my shee pretty hard, and probably have only about 50 hours or so on it, but my plugs still look good. I think most of the bolt on mods are pretty safe, when you step up to porting and crank mods then you might start looking at the reliablility situation. I think though a well built motor, by a reputable builder will probably last as long as a stocker or maybe even longer.

Later
Bat

Old 01-31-2003, 10:35 AM
Pro Rider

I run gearsaver. Spectro SX at 32:1 (one bottle to 4 gallons) is my favorite engine oil. Banshees are one thrilling ride.

Old 01-31-2003, 10:58 AM
Pro Rider

Banshees are VERY reliable. Don't listen to the hype about top end rebuilds and fouling plugs. It's simply nbot true unless the owner screws it up.

I would recommend you buy your Banshee with the bolt ons already there to save a lot of cash. Buying a used stock bike may be safer but you save a ton of money buying one that is already built up. Good luck with your future purchase.

Old 01-31-2003, 12:54 PM
Range Rover

Yeah my friend said that I'd need to be doing top ends every year...HA! This isn't my YZ 80 we are talking about, where I need to change my top end more often than my underwear. My friend also told me to buy one stock. I thought about saving me so big $$$ and buying one from a guy who modded it like : pipes, tires, maybe a graphics kit (that doesn't matter), Reeds or anything along those lines. Good point WyoDuner.

Well while I am snowmobiling for the next 2-3 months i guess I'll have to wait for the Spring![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-31-2003, 01:01 PM
Range Rover

WyoDuner, I looked at your website and man I know what you are talking baout when it comes to beautiful Wyoming. We have relatives down there and we visited them last summer. I hope to make the trip down again...This time with my Banshee and coming to those dunes I see on your website. Only problem is that you are in Cheyenne, my relatives are south of Jackson Hole. Keep up the good website its awesome[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-31-2003, 01:38 PM
Pro Rider

My banshee is relible. I just set mine up the way Toomey said too, with their pipes,jets,and airfilter system. I've seen some people that go thorugh a top endevery 6 months. But i went 2 1/2 years with ridng every weekend in sand before i rebuilt my top end ,it didn't blow either, but i only had 95 lbs of compression so i just redid it.

Old 01-31-2003, 02:36 PM
Pro Rider

Aggresssiverider,

If you are going to be south of Jackson, there are some good dunes not far from you. St. Anthony is just a couple of hours from Jackson and they are probably some of the biggest and steepest dunes around. It is near rexburg Idaho.

Then a couple of hours south of Jackson there is the killpecker sand dunes, just north east of Rock springs, WY.

Just some ideas if you come down this way.

later
Bat

Old 01-31-2003, 02:43 PM
Range Rover

Yeah my relatives are about 2 hrs south of Jackson Hole. They have lived in Wyoming all their lives so I think it would be easy for directions. Im going ask my mom about coming down. How hard is it to tow a quad across the border? what sort of things do you need example: registration, insurance, bill of sale??

Thanx

Old 01-31-2003, 02:59 PM
Pro Rider

If they are two hours south of Jackson, they are pretty darn close to where I am at. The killpecker sand dunes are only about 45 minutes from my house.

If you come, you will be real close to those dunes.

I am not sure on crossing the border, but I would think the things you mentioned would be good to have.

Bat