Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Hotcams decompression pin

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2003, 03:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hotcams decompression pin

I got a newer style hotcams with the decompression pin, but the pin still won't stay in the hole. I have heard of people welding them in, is this easy to do? I have access to a welder, and small welding skills. Is there anything I need to know about welding the pin in, or do I just weld it all around the top? does the welding hurt the heat treatment?

Old 02-09-2003, 03:05 PM
Elite Pro Rider

you need to call tony and do it right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-09-2003, 03:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Why would you want to weld it in place? Aren't you useing the lever and weights etc? As long as the lever is installed the pin will stay in it's place. I'm confused.

Old 02-09-2003, 04:16 PM
Pro Rider

Ummm, now I'm confused, too. I didn't mean the actual lever, I mean the plunger.

Old 02-09-2003, 11:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yes I know you meant the plunger. (pin) If the lever is installed the plunger will stay in its place and function properly. As Mark said. maybe you should give Tony a call at Hotcams and discuss what you want to do with him. Just a thought.

Old 02-09-2003, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider

LOL this is pure comedy.

Old 02-10-2003, 12:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I was very concerned about useing the stage 1 after my problems with the cam. The depth of the decompressor hole to the seat where the pin would stop was IMO the culprit. The new pin with a base depth that makes up the difference will not allow the pin to come out far enough to do any damage. The stock cams decompressor hole depth to the seat is almost 1/4" the stage 1 is less than 1/8" looking from outside the hole into the cam, that is why the pin was able to come out far enough to do damage along with some other factors. The new pin with this batch of cams will not allow the pin to come out far enough to do damage. JMO. As for the stage 2 cams, I have not seen one to know if its a similar or a different problem or different solution. The theory behind the Hotcams is good as far as no core. We get to keep the stocker etc. I like that and I'm sure lots of others see it as a plus. Hope they get their problems solved. Feedback is the key. I'm sure you've told them of your problems with the stage 2. Good luck.

Old 02-10-2003, 12:46 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Hot cams just got a new shipment of stage 1's. They are right now. No pin needed. New stage 2's are on the way. Stuff happens. Some of the problems could have been avoided if people looked and listened. When you modify motors you need to verify everything for yourselfs. Do not take anybodys word for it. When you pay shops to do this kind of work, they should take the time and verify that everthing works. What did you pay the shops 60 dollars a hour for??

Old 02-10-2003, 01:35 AM
Pro Rider

Mark does that mean they took a way decompression........I pm you on your wep page
Pat

Old 02-10-2003, 06:08 PM
Pro Rider

I think the problem is not that the decompression plunger won't fit in the hole, but I think it is too long to fit in it. I will call Tony today. I plan to shorten the plunger with a dremel tool, and see if that works. If I can get the plunger to fit, and be the right size, what prevents it from falling out of the hole?

Quick Reply: Hotcams decompression pin