Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Shee ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 12:48 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shee ?'s

Hi,
Just been enjoying my new Banshee. The weather here totally rocks, we spent the last 2 days riding!
So my ?'s are, first of all, how do you not melt your pants on your pipes? I spent 3 hours last night getting the wonderful melt off my pipes, but tonight not so lucky, does not want to budge. The Kevlar is burnt on really well. My husband is convinced I have to wear jeans, which sucks, I love my Oneal's! I know this is kind of a stupid ?, but really need to know!
Also, is low and midrange throttle response that important? My husband really thinks we either need to put reeds in or the boost bottle. I'm starting to get use to the high end power band, but he thought I would be happier with the lower and midrange response. Any oppinions?
We are strictly sand riders, and I am not the most aggressive rider, but I do enjoy keeping up with the boys. We ride a lot of hills, and want to feel confident while riding.

Just an end note, Banshee's Rock, I so love this bike. I had a Warrior, it was piped and jetted, and was a great bike, but not sad to see it go! The only problem is, I can't keep my husband off my bike, and after riding my Shee, I don't like the Raptor anymore! He has to keep his bike for one more year though, so what to do, what to do[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

So all of you men who want your Raptors back, buy your woman a Banshee!LOL

Thanks in advance for your help, you guys are all so cool[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Michele,
Oh still looking for a new Nickname.

Old 02-10-2003, 08:09 AM
Pro Rider
Default Shee ?'s

To me, low end throttle response is useless. Though I may think different because I will be riding lots of dunes this year. But there really isnt a time when mines not pinned, or in the meat of the powerband. I rode a stock shee when I was at Glamis for FSW, and it was alot different than mine. It had lots of midrang and lowend, but nearly no top end. I have yet to melt my pants to my pipes. Although I dont wear moto style pants, just jeans. The DG pipes I have are very similar looking to an old Toomey T3 or T4 in the sence that it sticks out a bit to each side, but I rarely even feel warmth from them. Maybe you can try riding a little bit further back on the seat or keep you knees a bit further out from the gas tank...

just my opinion..

-nick

Old 02-10-2003, 09:18 AM
Pro Rider
Default Shee ?'s

Is it a low to midrange stumble. if it is when mine was doing that I moved the needles in the carbs one notch down to allow more fuel into your engine.

Problem went away![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-10-2003, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider
Default Shee ?'s

About burning your pants - I have no idea onthat one. I wear jeans to ride. Maybe you can put some sort of pathc on your riding pants where they tend to hit the pipes???

About the low/mid response. No the Banshee doesn't have a lot of low end power but when you hit the gas it should move out and not stumble. It took me a while to realize that my low/mid stumble problems on my Banshee were a result of it not being tuned properly. If it stumbles in the lower mid range area then try dropping your needles down 1 notch. If it has problems right off of idel then work with your airscrews. Just play around and you'll find the sweet settings.

Skip the boost bottle - 99% of the people that have one says it does nothing at all. Also, reeds (except maybe Vforce) do a LOT less than advertised for yout low end. I tried the Boyeseen reeds and find that my stock reeds and the Boyeseen reeds feel exactly the same to me. Concentrate on tuning. Also, a slightly shaved head or 21cc domes will help withthe low end response.

Have fun with the Basnhee!!!

Old 02-10-2003, 03:57 PM
Range Rover
Default Shee ?'s

i'm not sure about the pants thing the patch idea sounds good to me. the more low end and midrange power you have the easier it is to ride. if you like to keep it pinned or drag race then the top end is what you want. i think more bottom might be better for you if you just like to cruise around at slow speeds but still be able to keep up with the guys. and the boost bottle doesn't really have a noticeable difference to most people but it does make a smoother power curve. the reeds don't feel like they make a difference either but they actually do it's just so small that most people don't feel it. what kind of pipes do you have?

Old 02-10-2003, 11:25 PM
Trailblazer
Default Shee ?'s

Hi,
I really thought about the patch, but I already have Kevlar on my pants and that is what is melting. I really tried not riding on the tank, I think it happened when I was going over the whoops or when I was blowing it out on the beach, not sure. I guess I will have to try jeans.

As far as the low and mid it was more of a suggestion from my husband. He talked to his buddy today and he thought we should drop a tooth or two in the front so that I can ride in the higher gears a little more. He just thought we could increase the low to mid but from what his buddy said that is not going to happen, it is a two stroke and it is either all or nothing, which honestly is fine with me.

As far as stumbling it doesn't, it actually runs great. So what do you think about the sprocket change?

Oh I'm running FMF Fatties, Gold series.

Thanks Again,
Ride on
M

Old 02-11-2003, 12:23 AM
Pro Rider
Default Shee ?'s

Just some advice from another female rider. If you were jeans, wear them around 2 sizes bigger than normal. Trust me on this one. Also, did you tuck your pants into your boots? My pants have almost melted on me too. I kept telling my husband "I smell something burning?" He thought I was crazy. It ended up being my riding pants. But, after I got my boots it has been great.

Trending Topics

Old 02-11-2003, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider
Default Shee ?'s

Melting your pants eh? haha...tie your pants close to you leg to keep the "baggyness" out of them and away from the pipe. I just wear shorts or jeans cept I ride a Raptor so its easier to keep away from the pipe. My friends has a Banshee and has crap melted on his pipes too and he never could get it off!! Try a razor blade. If you like the top end powerband then keep it! Thats what most Banshee riders love anyways...and good luck getting torque and midrange on a Banshee anyways, their made for top end not low to mid. but if you want low to mid get the FMF's but you'll still have the wonderful 2 stroke powerband it'll just be more controllable on the trails but not like the Warrior. How do you like Eugene and the Oregon dunes? I live and ride there too! I love it!!

Old 02-11-2003, 02:46 AM
Trailblazer
Default Shee ?'s

Thanks Rhonda, I will keep that in mind.

Hey Big Bubba,
We love Eugene, I have lived here my entire life (except a wild ride in my teens to Seattle). I spent most of my life at the coast (family in Coquille) and hated it. It was not until we got quads that I learned how to appreciate the wonderful Pacific! I really had no idea how cool it was out there. We try not to go to Florence too much though, usually we take the extra time and head to SpinReel.
As far as the pipes, I already have the FMF's on, it came that way, so not sure how it was stock. The trail riding that we do is the hills at the beach, so not sure if it qualifies as true trails, so I actually love the Banshee compared to the Warrior. It is so nice to hit that throttle and have the back end swing around with hardly any effort at all!

We also actually used the razor blade tonight, it worked! Thank goodness, since I love to have "a pretty bike"

Thanks again,
M