Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

What is your ritual to clean your bike?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2003, 02:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is your ritual to clean your bike?

I just tryed the 2001 and it works great [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-14-2003, 05:34 PM
Pro Rider

I use lemon pladge on my plastic it has the same ingredients that make it shine that hondabrite does and it has a lemon scent[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I always keep my chain clean and lubricated if you dont lube your chain often it really wears away and wont last as long.

Old 02-14-2003, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

I always use Chain Wax for the chain. My Banshee is all original and no problem with the chain in 5 years. It is very sticky though, until it dries.

For cleaning, I spray the quads at the car wash to get the big stuff off, then hand wash with a mitt to get the grime off. Keep the pressure washer away from the chain and seals. After rinsing, I use an old bath towel to dry them off. Any grease spots or stains on the white Banshee plastic come right off with a little WD 40 on a soft cloth. Have thought about using lemon Pledge, but I sometimes use Mequire's Final Inspection, a spray on detailer's finish with a touch of wax in it. I used it all the time on my show car too.

The Polaris plastic is much more rigid than the Yamaha, and it responds much better to the Armor All. It still gets lots of compliments even at 5 years old. The Suzuki has had nothing but soap and water and still looks great.

But, my favorite is to spray the tires with Son of a Gun and let it run. I don't even wipe them off and they look fantastic when dry (although still a little greasy). This is what really makes the quad look new and have the total shine. Of course, don't try this on a street bike.

Old 02-14-2003, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider

I always wash my quad w/ a water hose and a soft rag. I make sure to wash every little tiny bit so that way I can check all my bolts and check for cracks and get my whole quad squeeky clean all at once. Than I rap another rag around my grab bar and then stand the quad up (I try not to get scratches all over my grab bar) and wash the bottom of the quad and check for cracks and loose bolts. When I'm done, I set the quad back down, get the rag thats on the grab bar and dry my quad down pretty good, then let it dry the rest of the way in the sun. After that, I Armor All the plastics and polish my whole frame.

The Armor All does collect dust, but it wipes off really easy. Before a race or practice, I just wipe off the dust and Armor All again so that she looks all nice and shiny before the race/practice. After that, I'm not to worried about the dust cause I just ride the **** outta my quad and get it all nice and muddy [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img].

It's crazy really... spend all that time cleaning and stuff just so it's really clean for the 30 minutes before I ride again. Oh well, it's worth it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img].

As for stress marks... just shave the fenders, and then your plastics won't have so much stress on them.

Old 02-16-2003, 02:59 AM
Pro Rider

HAHA- All of you guys talk about clean quads...i guess i really dont recall what one of those look like. For my warrior i just like to ride it and let mother nature clean it. IF there is rain in the forcast i will leave it in the truck over night. Works well. Altho once a month i do a full clean with simple grees and a pressure washer. And between rides i oil the chain. Clean quads are like clean jeeps, rare.....

Old 02-16-2003, 03:13 AM
Pro Rider

Get some liquid tide...mix it about 20% to 80% water in spray bottle. Spray entire bike and let sit approxiamtly 3 minutes... hose it off and you got no- fuss clean bike!!!You heard it here first!