Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Is this BANSHEE a good deal? carb flooding...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2003, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Banshee flooding

Hey I was looking at a banshee on ebay. the sale ended but I talked to him in person about buying it for a fix up. He says that it starts but soon thereafter floods. fuel was leaking from the overflow of the carbs. Is this a serious issue? he thinks the float is just stuck. It is a confiscated 96 banshee with Toomey T5s. one of them is chrome and the other is rusted.

Here is the info.

Vehicle Description
1996 YAMAHA BANSHEE 35O IT WAS A POLICE CONFISCATION,HAS SOME HIGH PERFORMANCE PARTS,COOLHEAD TOOMEY PIPES NOS REAR SHOCK BIGGER CARBS,FRONT DRILLED DISC ETC,HAS BEEN SITTING IN THE SUN FOR 5-6 MONTHS IT IS FADED , SEAT IS RIPPED,IT IS BEING SOLD W A BILL OF SALE ONLY.........
Vehicle Condition
LOOKS A LIL ROUGH FROM SITTING TIRES ARE WORN PLASTICS ARE FADED,HAS A LOT OF PERFORMANCE PARTS 1 PIPE IS CLEAN CHROME IS RUSTED ON 1 PIPE CARBS NEED CLEANING AS THEY WERE LEAKING GAS FROM THE OVER FLOW HAS K&N FILTERS COMPRESSION IS GOOD STARTS BUT CARBS FLOODING, VERY FAST BIKE, W NO RESERVE SAVE SOME $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

What do you guys think? Is it a worth while fixup or is it just a basketcase waiting to be opened? I don't want to open up a can of worms that will be more MONEY than it need be. Work isn't a big problem because I am looking for a fixeruper but I don't know that much about carbs and such.

PS. if you want to check out some pics go to:
http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ebaymotors/w...402965845&rd=1

Thanks,

Old 02-15-2003, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default Is this BANSHEE a good deal? carb flooding...

for someone that kknow their way around banshees it sounds good
but for you sounds like a can of worms all depends on what you can get it for???

Old 02-16-2003, 02:53 AM
Pro Rider

he said 1800 but I bet I can work him down a few. I learn quickly and as long as it is easy to diagnose the problem I think I can fix it. The only thing I am afraid of is having a perpetual problem that has no root cause to fix. somthing that will continue to reocure after dumping money into it. If it simply means the carbs have to be cleaned and rebuilt I can handle that.

Old 02-16-2003, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider

Carbs are the least of your worries. I would insist on hearing it run IN PERSON. Otherwise I'd never buy a quad on line. Don't get me wrong ebay is great but you have to be that much more careful about what you're buying.
If it's a repo, there's no way of knowing how much it was abused before you got it. Make sure you know what to look for and then make sure you check it out presonally before buying. If you could get it for around $1500 you could at least part it out for what you paid for it. As long as the engine isn't toasted and the frame is good.

Old 02-16-2003, 12:39 PM
Pro Rider

Hey, what do you guys think about this one
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...403370404&rd=1
This one seems like a good deal. the only problem is that I cant see any of them in person because It's not worth a plane ticket or a drive and I don't have time to make the trip to kansas or miami :-/ WHat do you think about hearing it over the phone. I mean I am looking for some work to do on it, it's a school project for me to refirbish one, but I don't have a big budget to basically rebuild the entire engine. I want to powdercoat the frame, get new plastics and tires etc. I mean redoing the top end, as long as it isn't siezed is fine too.

Old 02-16-2003, 03:04 PM
Range Rover

go look at some used ones that the local dealer has. it would be better just to look at some that are close to you.

Old 02-16-2003, 03:11 PM
Pro Rider

I would be leary of buying a used quad over the internet. It is just too risky.

Without being able to hear it run and ride it, there is no way to no what condition it is in. That second one you posted looks filthy to me, if he doesnt even wash it and clean it up to post it I wonder how much maintenance he has really done to it.

Just my thoughts. I think you could find some decent deals on the net if you look good. But I would try and find one closer to home.

Bat

Old 02-16-2003, 03:21 PM
Pro Rider

I have a friend that is trying to sell his 2000 for $3000. It has pipes, brand new rebuild, great plastic, new wheels and tires. Comes with extra plastic, extra wheels, etc. What I am getting at is if you buy that 96 for 1800, you can easily put another 1200 in parts to get it up to par with bikes that you can buy ready to run. It would cost $300 to rebuild it, 5-600 in wheels/tires, new pipes if you don't want a rusty one (4-500), probably new chain and sprockets 100, my friends has nerf bars 150, see what I am getting at. It could even need the crank rebuilt $500.

Old 02-16-2003, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider

I think its a decent bike for the $$$ it dosent have that many problems go for it

Old 02-16-2003, 05:06 PM

"POLICE CONFISCATION" ...lol i wonder why? makes me think twice about draggin my shee on public roads in the middle of the night..oh well... my shee is a 96 and i picked it up for 4thousand with all this stuff..also came with stock clutch and carbs...

liquidsand

Quick Reply: Is this BANSHEE a good deal? carb flooding...