Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

To those with early rear Elka shocks

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 09:48 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To those with early rear Elka shocks

If you purchased your Elka shock back in 2001 or so, you should check to make sure you having a locking ring securing the main shock body to the top anodized cap where the hydraulic hose comes out. If you do not, it is possible for the main shock body to unscrew itself from the cap while you are riding. The locking ring is the same style as used on regular shocks for setting the preload - the type with the notches. This ring now tightens against the cap to keep the main shock body from unscrewing.

Elka tried to convince me it pulled apart but I have pictures and none of the threads were destroyed on either the cap or the main shock body except for the first one. It would be impossible for it too just pull apart without it unthreading itself. I had to pay for the repairs and all the shipping to Elka too.

I have digital pictures showing how the shock looked before and the added locking ring. Just PM me with your e-mail address and I can send them to you if you aren't sure what I am talking about.

If this helps one other person then this post is worth it. Mine came apart right at the time I was going up the face of a large double. I cased it big time and bruised my feet and ankles all up. I could barely drive home. That was about 9 months ago. It took about 6 months to totally heal. I should have posted this earlier.

/NotuRaptor

Old 04-05-2003, 12:35 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To those with early rear Elka shocks

hi can you send the pic to this e-mail TOMMY_LT1@hotmail.com\
thank you