Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Camshaft / Decompression pin - HELP..

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2003, 03:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camshaft / Decompression pin - HELP..

HELP - like an idiot I pulled the decompression shaft (#5) doo-dad out of the camshaft. When I did, the pin (#2,3) fell out and I cant figure out how to reassemble it in the cam.

Heres the pic - whats the correct orientation and how does it go back together.

Thanks a bunch......

Cam/decomp

Old 02-22-2003, 05:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Fisher,

Put the spring on the pin. Slide the pin into the large opening opposite the smaller opening until it comes out the smaller hole. Take a small pointed device to hold it into and out of the little hole a little bit. Slide the lever into the cam until it reaches your pointy device once the lever is in that far you can remove your pointy device and push the lever in the rest of the way. If your lever is turned to where the groove is the pin will recess into it and will not be sticking out of the cam anymore. To install the cam you need to have the pin sticking out of the little hole. To accomplish this there is a dot on the end of the lever, when the cam is sitting in its races with the oiling holes to the top and your decompression pin hole at about 11:00 oclock, you'll want to turn the lever until that dot is at 12:00 oclock in line with the cylinder head. Your pin should be sticking out of the hole at this time. When you install the cam sprocket, there are 3 dots on it, 1 dot goes to the 12:00 oclock position the other 2 dots you want to align even with the top of the cylinder head. You should have 2 dots even with the cylinder head and the othewr sprocket dot and the lever dot at a 12:00 o clock position in reference to the top of the cylinder not the ground.

Be sure the piston and timing marks are at TDC when you put this all back together.

Old 02-22-2003, 06:10 PM
Pro Rider

OK - thanks - i think I got it ! Right now, when I spread the wings on the decomp system the pin sucks in. When the wings pull back toward the center on theire own due the spings, the pin protrudes. Is that correct ?

Thanks again, Eric

Old 02-22-2003, 06:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yes, thats the way it is suppose to work. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]Engine stops, the weights come together pushing the pin out of the hole. Engine starts the weights by force of rotation swing to the outside alowing the pin to recess inside the hole.

Are you redoing this tranny etc with no service manual? Just raptortranny.com?

Old 02-22-2003, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider

I've got the service manual but didnt notice any good explanations on the actual operation of the decompressor. With your help I understand how it works now. I wasnt making the connection that the pin opens a valve.

Thanks, Eric

Old 02-23-2003, 12:40 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The service manual is vague. It assume we all are mechanics. Raptortranny.com is a godsend if you ask me. Mike is doing a great service to all Raptor owners. Thanks Mike.

Good luck and happy wrnching the rest of the way Fisher. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-04-2004, 06:18 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Originally posted by: wshrdskin
The service manual is vague. It assume we all are mechanics. Raptortranny.com is a godsend if you ask me. Mike is doing a great service to all Raptor owners. Thanks Mike.

Good luck and happy wrnching the rest of the way Fisher. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
i agree

thanks Mike

just got my pin back together properly,,,,thanks for the thread

seems when my oneway let go and bound the motor at about 40,,,,,in knocked the decompression turntable (the 2 pins) out of their slots in the spring mechanism,,,,essentially keeping the pin in the out position

it was making my motor clack,,,,,and not letting it rev

got it figured now,,,,,,thanks to all these threads using the search feature