Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor oil change. No manual :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2003, 07:50 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor oil change. No manual :(

I've put a couple hours on my Raptor and went to change the oil. I don't have the manual so I go to the garage and turn on the light. I found two caps that looks to have a place to open up the side of the engine. A small one and a large one. They are both on the same side. It looks like if you use these you need a sideways funnel. Any help would be appreciated. Also does it hold a little more then 2 qts? Thanks, Chris

Old 03-03-2003, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider

Chris.
two place to drain the oil, one is bottom of the case and the other is bottom of the oil tank is front of the engine.
Yes you would need the funnel to refill the oil.
I think it take about 2.5 QT of oil.

Old 03-03-2003, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider

im not sure which ones your looking at, but you have to drain both the motor, and the resivior. And remember to loosen the screw in the top end to let the oil out of it. It should be a philips head/8mm brass colored screw on the same side as the filter. if you loosen in a bit it will drain the top end. and when you put oil back in you have to turn over the motor till you see oil come out of that screw. Then tighten it. Its a pain. Good luck.

Old 03-03-2003, 08:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Stop!

Those are for your timing marks when adjusting vlaves.

On the left side of the engine there is a drain bolt for the engine. Down by the gear shifter assembly. Drain the engine from there.

Also you need to drain the oil tank itself. On the bottom of the oil tank there is a bolt, just in front of the oil line that attatches to the oil tank. Drain the tank from there.

Change the oil filter

Replace bolts. Engine drain bolt torque to 22 ft lbs the oil tank bolt is 18ft lbs. Put 1 1/2 quarts of oil in the oil tank. Start the quad, let in run 10-20 seconds. Turn it off and fill the tank with the rest of the oil. The oil tank itself will not hold all the required oil. If you try it will spill all over the place.

Total oil required is 2.43 us quarts.

On the right side of the head there is a bolt, 6 or 8 mm possibly a phillips in the middle of it. It's right between the head and the valve cover on the side of the motor. Once the oil is in start the quad and loosen this bolt a bit until you see oil coming out of it. This insures you are getting oil circulating through the motor. If you see no oil after running for 1 minute shut the quad off and find out why.

Old 03-03-2003, 08:03 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the quick repsonses!!! I'm going to tackle this chore this coming up weekend. I want new oil for sure before I head to Hatifield McCoy [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Thanks again!

Old 03-03-2003, 08:04 PM
Pro Rider

thankyou for that info,thought i had been doing it wrong for a while!!!That sounds right.

Old 03-03-2003, 08:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The drain plug for the engine is below the shifter.It sounds like you are discribing the two plugs used to accsess the flywheel, those are not drain plugs.Did you use a screwdriver to remove them?IF SO THOSE ARE NOT THE DRAIN PLUGS.The other drain plug is on the bottom of the oil tank towards the front.Be very careful when you tighten this one back up, if you over tighten it you can crack the tank.I would reccomend using a torque wrench to tighten both.The torque is 22 ft. lbs. for the engine plug and take a 17mm socket and the tank is 14mm and torque to 18 ft. lbs.Fill the oil trough the tank. Put in a little over a qt. start it up and idle for maybe 10 or 15 seconds then shut it off and put in the rest of the second qt. let it warm up and check the level.

Old 03-03-2003, 08:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I type to darn slow.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-03-2003, 08:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

LOL, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

How was Glamis Mitch?

Old 03-03-2003, 08:35 PM
Pro Rider

Boy I got one of the drain bolt wrong..... Talk about being brain fart since I also own two other bikes too... The one I mention of the drain bolt on the bottom of the case would be for the Banshee. Sorry for getting the CONFUSION I mention......

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Raptor oil change. No manual :(