Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior Ticking - Valves Adjusted

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 07:43 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warrior Ticking - Valves Adjusted

I had the valves adjusted on my 98 warrior. I got it home and noticed I still had the horrible tick at around 3000 RPM and above it gets worse. I went back and checked the valves myself. Intake is set to .003 and exhaust too .007. The service tech said that it was a little dry up there. I took the oil flow screw half out and ran it for a minute and just had a couple of drops out of it. Is this enough? I changed the oil a month ago and did not notice any screen around the oil plug. The oil filter is installed correctly. The tick started in one outing after the oil change sometime. Please Help

Old 03-10-2003, 09:18 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Warrior Ticking - Valves Adjusted

.007 is a little loose, .006 is closer to what it should be. The low amount of oil you got from the bleed screw worries me, I just crack mine open, and have to stick a rag under it, so much oil runs out. You may want to check the oil pump output. You also mentioned no screen around the drain plug, this also is a possible problem, it is used to catch the big chunks so they don't plug the oil galleries and cause oil starvation problems. I would try to find a replacement screen for the drain, but your first order of business is finding out if your oil flow is sufficient, and why you still get so much clatter in your top end. Unless someone here has the answer, I would hold off riding for a while,or take it to the mechanic for a checkout of the oil pump and see if the passages are plugged.