Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Tranny FIXED ! - a priceless moment.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2003, 10:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor Tranny FIXED ! - a priceless moment.....

Excellent Fisher, your experience sounds along the lines of mine.

Unfortunatly, I'm gonna have to find out sooner than I thought. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] My Raptor, not my wifes raptor that has not had the tranny replaced, but mine broke today. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] I was at Dumont dunes today and the quad locked up on me, came to a skidding halt, (fortunatly I wasn't going to fast) I looked down and oil was puking out everywhere. Whatever got locked up in the gears and or kicked around in there broke through the bottom of the crank cases right where they join together, just in front of the gear shifter.

I'm going to go over the papers I got from Alba when they did the tranny to check for warrenty length but I'm sure it's been to long and if it wasn't a tranny gear part that broke, they would have my quad all tore apart and i'd still have to pay them for the tear down.

I'm beginning to NOT like Raptors. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] This thing is going to be sitting for a while, the cases alone are $575, plus gaskets, plus whatever broke, plus a crank puller and installer tool. Blah, Blah. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 03-16-2003, 02:05 AM
Pro Rider

Wsh,
Sorry to hear about your misfortune! That was 02 gears right? Oh hell, hopefully for everyone else's sake who is doing the 02 conversion, it was something else that headed south! Even though I am sure that its no consolation to you.

I got a tip for everyone who is doing their tranny themselves. This makes it take longer, but for the first timer, it sure makes it a hell of a lot easeir.

When you take all the parts off your motor, put them in ziploc bags with labels for where they came from: clutch side case bolts, head bolts, etc. I also draw a small diagram on a piece of paper and punch holes in it where the bolts go. Then I put the correct bolts in the correct spot on the paper and it is almost impossible to screw it up. That is probably what everybody does anyway. But I also take every assembly that comes off, like the clutch basket with its washer, clutch pack, etc. and zip tie them together in the proper order. That way, when I go to put everything back together I don't have to think about which washer goes on the inside, which on the outside, etc. It also helps for those of us who can't do it all in one sitting and have to take a few hours a day over an extended period of time to tear dowwn and rebuild. I find that doing it this way, you don't have to refer back to the manual nearly as much and it saves a lot of headache in the end.

Old 03-16-2003, 05:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yep, mine went this weekend too[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] It looks like I'll be headed to the site too, but not just to check it out this time.

Old 03-16-2003, 08:30 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Sorry too hear of your misfortunes gentlemen. Wshrdskin, so you have had yours repaired before....were the new ratios 01's?

Old 03-16-2003, 11:46 AM
Pro Rider

Bummer guys ! I feel your pain......

Please let us know what parts failed and what year (01 or 02) they are.

Eric

Old 03-16-2003, 12:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Mine were replaced with 02 gears from alba. I picked the quad up on Dec 14th. Yesterday was March 15th 1 day after 90 days. It doesn't say anything on my paperwork about warranty length but I'll bet 90 days is the max.

I'm getting ready to take the quad off the truck and remove my skid plate and check the damage.

Ward, sorry to hear of this. Your were still the original 01 gears right?

I don't know if this was a tranny failure or another part floating around that jammed up the tranny and broke through the bottom of my cases.

Time will tell. Unfortunatly alot of time. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 03-16-2003, 12:55 PM
Elite Pro Rider

If it's not real clean....I would make a car wash run before tearing in...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. Keep us posted.

Old 03-16-2003, 01:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

It's been sitting in the rain all night. The sun is finaly coming out. I didn't even take it off the truck last night cause It was raining. It will get cleaned up before I take it apart.

Old 03-16-2003, 02:28 PM
Pro Rider

wshrdskin SORRY to hear about that man!! I feel your pain!! Cases=OUCH!! I would not think the 02 gears let go. Unless they did not use 02 parts, like they did to me the first time around.....: Maybe somthing else let go like you said causing the lock-up. Keep us posted!!

BTW I'm in the same boat you know.....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] Hope it was'nt a peice of your piston!!

Old 03-16-2003, 03:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I took off my skid plate, cleaned things up and removed two pieces of the case from where it broke through. Much to my amazment it looks like my crank rod broke and came through the bottom of my case. From what I can tell, it appears the crank rod broke somewhere just below where it connects to the piston. Spun around until it hit the case and jammed right there. The tranny shifted into nuetral just fine so we could tow it in. I took the crankshaft end access screw off and put a ratchet on it to try and spin the crank, she's a no go. Thought maybe I could turn the crank in the opposite direction to see if what was sticking through the case was the crank and move. It won't budge in either direction. I have a picture, kinda hard to tell whats up but ya can see the big azz hole it made. By the way, what color is the crank rod? This is a bronzeish looking color.

My picture

Quick Reply: Raptor Tranny FIXED ! - a priceless moment.....