Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Connecting rod failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2003, 10:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Connecting rod failure

Thanks for the suggestions Airraptor. I'll look into the welding when I have this all apart. $150 is cheaper than $575. I'm anxious to take this thing apart. I need to get a good working area in order first. It doesn't cost anything to tear it all apart. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Of course, I may not like what I find. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 03-16-2003, 10:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yes, thats what I thought you had to do. I left out the flywheel part [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img], To change the rod the cases have to be split all the way.

Old 03-16-2003, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider

working on it is half the fun in having it,have fun with that ac magneto rotor,thing comes off with some force.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-16-2003, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider

wsrdskin...I dont know if I would change the rod myself?? I think they have to be pretty well balanced....Let LRD help![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-16-2003, 10:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have no doubt that when it comes time to change the rod a shop like LRD or another will be the one installing the new rod on the crank. I'll probably wind up taking my new case if need be and the new rod and have them remove the old crank and install the rod in it and have them installthe crank assembly in the new case for me. Time will tell.

Ryan, I will still be at Dumont for Easter. Unless my other Raptors tranny fails before then. I won't be fast enough to race but I'll watch and dune alot [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-16-2003, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider

"Ryan, I will still be at Dumont for Easter. Unless my other Raptors tranny fails before then. I won't be fast enough to race but I'll watch and dune alot "

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________

wshrdskin.......I hope to make it out for Easter...Starting a new job=NO more weekends off!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]I hope to arange for that weekend off to see what the Rappy will do!! (should have it back) Lightening the flywheel would also be a good idea to compensate for the extra weight of the rod.

Old 03-16-2003, 10:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Thanks again for the extra tips Airraptor. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I have the 36mm I'll be sure and get the others. All the clips and lock washers will be new parts going back in. The keys as well, Thanks.

Old 03-17-2003, 12:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

air your a crack expert? There are too many replies I could have for that comment so I won't even start.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Everyone else can just use their imagination.

Old 03-18-2003, 09:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you taken the top end apart to see what might have happened?

Old 03-18-2003, 10:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Why yes Mitch, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I just got through uploading the pictures.
Small end of rod broke in half and at the base of the small end. One half of the crank lobe has a nick in it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] The sleeve is cracked in two spots and has a nick in it as well. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]. The piston is damaged and can't be reused. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

I haven't even split the cases yet. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Rod pointing the wrong way. Nick in crank lobe
Nick in crank lobe and part of the small end of rod.
Another pic of nick in crank lobe
Piston damage still in sleeve, other half of small end of rod
Sleeve damage

Quick Reply: Connecting rod failure