Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Is the Raptor faster than the DS650 in a drag?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 06:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the Raptor faster than the DS650 in a drag?

Mine will run with most of them now, even with stock cams and CDI that will not let the motor over 9000 rpm. A raptor with bolt on's like the majority are would get embarrased. But with that said I am not looking to Race stock or basicaly stock bikes. When it comes to the mod game, technology and money win, no matter what the brand. I have the technology just not much money, so I will be as fast as i can afford. My point is the Predator mod for mod is going to be as fast and faster than most bikes. The factory give us alot to work with. The head flows like crazy with just minor reshaping, double overhead cams don't hurt either. The stock cams have ramps that are lazy and bleed off alot of compression. But most of all, it looks stock, it sounds stock, you only find out after you lost that it wasn't stock. But then it's to late.

Old 03-25-2003, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider

I have never got embarressed and i run bolt ons,or have i got embaressed by a predator,i run at Dumont and glamis and run the predators all i can to see what you guy's are talking about..

They are sweet bikes ,but if a rappy came out of the crate race ready like the predators then there will be no discussion..

Old 03-25-2003, 06:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You have to give companies time to develope products for bikes. The raptor has been in production for some time now so the big bore kits/cam's/valve's/ect ect have already been tested and developed. You will soon be getting embarrassed by a few predators. Nothing against you, but they are getting a lot of HP out of these bikes already.

Old 03-25-2003, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider

so if a predator gets some good mods ,well it be able to hang with a 686 and a 727 ?it's like a 400 ex,you make it into a 465 it still get's beat by a 686 or 727,so what makes a 500 so diffrent,are the hop ups that substantial to the engine or is it going to be faster than the average predator....

Old 03-25-2003, 07:24 PM
Pro Rider

Bigger don't always mean better, take 14mins 686 for instance, it make as much power as 727's do. Engine design comes into play, there are alot of factors. Technology and design is the equalizer. The raptor head is a limitng factor, one day someone will design a billet head and unleash the power. The predator 500 cc engine is responding better to mods.

Old 03-25-2003, 07:48 PM
Pro Rider

I get you...

Old 03-25-2003, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider

Like Rap03 said, if the raptor came out with the same modifications as the predator there would be nothing to talk about except how bad the raptor would beat. Until those mods for the predator come out its slower than the 2 mentioned. If all were BONE stock it would be the ds, raptor, and trailin behind the predator in a drag, but whos gonna be drag racing stock bikes? Im not saying the predator sucks i like it i think it looks mean im just saying its slower than the other 2. (Lets take a z28 (350) and a GT (281) the z28 is faster by that much only cause the engine is bigger. Put a cam in the GT and the GT will win, put a cam in the z28 and it will win but by alot less than what it won stock for stock. The 281 responds better than chevys 350<---- this is basically how it is with these 2 bikes) puttin a cam, rev limiter, pipe on both (predator, raptor), the predator would maybe MAYBE win only cause its lighter on a track, in a drag the predator might be closer than what u raptor ppl think, still i dont think it would win the rappy has more top end

Old 03-25-2003, 10:14 PM
Pro Rider

Crackhead,when I was bone stock, I never lost to a Raptor. Didn't win by much but was always able to get a nose in front. Never raced a DS so i can't say how that would come out. So forget about the difference in engine size, and I hate to tell you but the Predator mods are out right now, I am sure there are some DS's and Raptor's faster right now, but I will bet you there's alot more that don't have a chance. I been a professional drag racer for over 15 years, size don't alway's win. Just throw a buick regal grand national in with the mustang and camaro. Regal 231 cubic inch motor, faster than both stock, a hell of a lot faster modified. I hold national records with a turbo regal, and a mustang. And back to my original comment, who ever spends the most will be the fastest.

Old 03-26-2003, 02:51 AM
Pro Rider

So you're telling me that Vilnrk is outrunning piped & jetted predators by 10 quad lengths because he put it on alky? I know alky will produce a little more HP and gearing can help, but I can't see how it would be that dramatic on any quad. I'm not saying I don't like it. If I felt that I'd rather have a Predator than my DS, I'd go buy one. I'm not ******* them, as I've already stated, I think that they're great. I hope Honda comes out with a quad that is the end all (even if it's not for another 50 years). I don't bash every new quad that comes out. I love the infusion of new blood into the sport quad market and know that it only makes every mfgr. try to up the bar a little more.

Old 03-26-2003, 10:04 AM
Trailblazer

sp700, my wife owns Predator and I own a Rappy, no doubt the Pred is an awsome machine at an incredible price; however, it just doesn't pull like the Rappy. Especially in the sand. I have read about how capable the engine is though. Mod for mod, I never see the Pred winning over a Rap. If it does I know where to get a Pred, but I think the wife can kick my *** so I will have to do it at night. I am impressed with the Pred though, Polaris made a stable fast bike.

Quick Reply: Is the Raptor faster than the DS650 in a drag?