Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior good and bad

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 06:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warrior good and bad

i'm thinkin of purchasing a used yamaha warrior....i have ridden one and i like the feel and the amount of power.......give me some good and bads about the quad thank you .....i was also thinkin of heavily modifying what are some good hopups

Old 03-18-2003, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider

From all my warrior experience I say it shines in the woods and in technical stuff or as a layed back cruiser. It will do anything short of monster ramps but there are other things that do things better. Going through the woods and trails though, there is no quad I would pick over it, except maybe a wolverine if the conditions were pretty bad. If your a speed junkie though this isint the quad for you, and 90% of the replies you get to this post will be from speed junkies who hate the warrior because it isint fast enough for them. Dont listen to them though, test ride a few different bikes and see what you really like and what fits you. The best possible scenario would be to have friends with several different bikes and get to test drive each for a few hours.

BTW, speed is fun, but when you want to ride and you cant because its broken down, or doesent like the conditions, its not very fun any more. Also, alot of people buy really fast quads even though they dont have a place to let them run wide open. In other words they pay for the trade offs and compromises but never reap the reward.

Old 03-18-2003, 07:57 PM
KGB
Pro Rider

Warrior:
I had a 2000
I wouldn't buy this quad to modify. It is simply not a high performance platform. Put a pipe (I had Pro Circuit), jet it, FIRST OF ALL change to a pre design air filter system, and leave her there. Its not worth it to go any farther. We ride the dunes and the Warrior's tranny didn't like shifting under loads, it would pop put of gear (scary), mis shifts, ect. It was my womans ride and she wanted to get rid of it because it was slow and had tranny problems. Don't get me wrong like ,jakalwarrior said, its great fo r trails, crusing ect. but not HP. I know a guy who put $2500 into a warrior motor ( From Poweroll so its no joke) and a stock 400ex will beat it by a few lengths in 300' drag.
I am not saying not to buy it, they are bulletrproof, have great features, but not a azz hauler

Old 03-18-2003, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

Blah, I left out the bad:
Poor airbox design, terrible stock tires (most yammys), lil heavy in stock form, difficult to remove carb for jetting.
2 valve head wont make gobs of power for drag racing (makes around 27-30 with before you star digging real deep into your wallet).

BTW, I put 600-800 or so in my old engine and it would eat a stock 400ex for lunch.

Old 03-18-2003, 08:17 PM
Pro Rider

fatman...want a Warrior? I've got an 02 for sale. Looks good enough to put back on the showroom floor. Only has 20 hrs riding time. Just bought my wife a Raptor and we put the Raptor tires on the Warrior and bought Holeshots for her Rappy. We're asking 4,600 o.b.o.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-18-2003, 08:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

i have a 2001 warrior. at first i loved the machine but once i got used to it, i felt that i should have bought more of a high performance machine. if you are just a recreational rider who is not looking the best there is out there than yes, i highly recommend the warrior. i've taken notice that there are a lot of high performance hop-ups available for it too. i have friends with hopped-up warriors who have no problem finishing top five in races. one of my biggest complaints about it though is the chain adjustment. i feel as though it could be updated. it's a pain. hope i help you out with your decision

Old 03-19-2003, 05:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok thanx... i'm not looking to be a top 5 racer i just want a good all around quad....because in mass. w dont have many track or dunes mostly woods and and a couple wide open places... iwant to know though are what are some good hopups for the warrior....and is jetting hard to do... or are there any pipes you can use w/out rejetting

Old 03-19-2003, 05:51 PM
Pro Rider

suzuki, i dont know where your from but im selling my warrior for 2400. ITa 99. The motor is in great shape, but the rest of it has normal wear ie..paint is worn by pegs and the rear shock went. But its a great quad to build on cause the frame and motor are still sturdy. ok, later btw..im in ny/pa

Old 03-19-2003, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider

Well like everyone is telling you if your looking for a fast trail machine with potential to be made to produce big HP numbers then the Warrior is not the choice for you. But if you want something that is kind of quick and fun in the woods and a great all around cruiser then you can't go wrong with the Warrior. I have owned my 99 Warrior for 4 years now and have never had a bit of trouble out of it. The only that really irritates me is when you shift into reverse and then go back to first sometimes it doesn't go all the way into gear. As for mods I have done the usual pipe, filter, jetting and changed the front sprocket. If you have any more questions feel free to ask me.

Old 03-20-2003, 04:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok but what pipe, air filter and jeeting did u use?..... and to everybody else what mods are u running

Quick Reply: Warrior good and bad