Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

final verdict on pipes turning purple??

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2003, 11:40 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default final verdict:pipes turn purple

I read before posting but am still just not sure.Raptor seems to be running great after adding K&N stock replacemnt,Full Stainlss Yosh, and Dynojet 146/148 mains. Airbox lid is on (not completely fastened). pipes are gold for quick rides up street, but after harder or longer riding they're turning a little purple. Could the bike be setup just fine? You guys rule, thanx [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-03-2003, 11:52 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default final verdict on pipes turning purple??

Well as far as I heard from this Forum that they turn purple on stainless. Someone correct me if I am wrong but I posted this same thread awhile back on my Trinity exhaust.

Old 04-03-2003, 11:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

ya, might be right. what about this though...I can start it no prob, 1st try, no choke. (2500ft). does this indicate lean or rich?
thx

Old 04-03-2003, 12:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The only way I could tell that if I was running to rich or lean was to go to my buddies smog shop and put it on the machine. I have the same jetting as you but not all bikes are the same. Mine runs pretty well.

Old 04-03-2003, 12:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

if i'm happy with the bike could it not even matter? or do these conditions (lean,rich) cause unwanted damage? anything serious?
thx a lot, appreciate it.

Old 04-03-2003, 12:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Oh definetly!! If you think that there may be an issue I would have it checked. Or just pull the plug and see what it looks like.

Old 04-03-2003, 02:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey man saw the suzu in the back of truck,looks cool. i have not ridden one yet(Ltz400). what do you think of it compared to the raptor?

Old 04-03-2003, 04:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I love it. But you cant beat the pull of the Raptor. It handles very nice. Couldnt have spent the money better on anything else.

Old 04-03-2003, 04:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

cool, i love mine too.
I have a couple questions about doing the jet kit- like when you replace the main jet how is it put back in exactly? do you count the turns removing the stock? does it screw/ push in? also the vacuum slide, does that go back in a specific way? I'm a non-mechanic type jumpin in head first here. any info greatly appreciated...
Jason

Old 04-03-2003, 05:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

well the jets just tighten up the needle has some washers you have to adjust. As of right now I am using the ones that came with my pipe but now have purchased the Dyna-Jet kit for it and will mess with that when I have time. It runs great right now but just wanted to see what Dyna-Jets will do for it. I will have to warn you first, when you pull off those bottom screws they will strip and then you will have to get some needle nose vise grips to grab onto them and break them loose. what I did was went to my local hardware store and purchased some stainless steel with allen heads to replace them with. Believe me, you wont want to put them back in.

Quick Reply: final verdict on pipes turning purple??