Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

weird noise at idle (raptor)

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2003, 07:20 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird noise at idle (raptor)

so raptor racer, you hear a little noise that sounds like tere is another little motor inside the motor making noise. It is not an exploding noise from the engine. I wanna make that perfectly clear! It just a sound almost like the pigeon make here in the city. And also a little bit of that electric knife motor sound. Ok, thanks for replies. Well see if anyone knows what the cause of this is.

See i wouldnt be weirded out by the noise, but what frustrates me is that when i retarted it two seconds later the noise was gone! what the heck is with that?

Old 04-04-2003, 09:07 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Take your thumb off the starter button when the engine starts.

Old 04-04-2003, 09:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

warrior86,

This noise you are hearing is the the top end, ie cam, cam chain. Theres no oil to speak of upon start up for a little while. It didn't go away because you turned the gas on. That was just qouincidence. If the bike sits long enough it will have that noise for a little while the first time its started.

Old 04-04-2003, 10:53 AM
Trailblazer

I have that same motor, inside motor sound... but it does it intermittently when i ride, it seems to do it mostly around half throttle, or letting off throttle, and no i do not have any puddles from it... I don't know what the hell it is, it doesnt sound too healthy though.. Is it possible that the clutch is making the noises...??? If it is the cam, or cam chain, what would cause it to not get enough oil, perhaps its the oil pump?? Beats me...

Old 04-04-2003, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider

wshrdskin, thanks for that post. I think you got the right answer. Your right, when it did happen it was sitting overnight. And i guess it coulda been a coincidence. Maybe the noise even overlapped when i restarted for a second and i didnt notice. But that probably is it.

Gary...i really dont appreciate the sarcasm, i expect more from you.

alright, i guess my question is answered but see if you can help out chevraptor.

Thanks again for your help

Old 04-04-2003, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider

You wanted a response with no sarcasm? Realy? Honestly? Why?
OK here goes(I'm sure I'll catch crap for this)
take a long scredriver with a metal butt end.
place the screw driver end on various parts of your motor putting your ear up to the end
the metal will pass the sound as frequency
you can hear valves working, water flowing etc
sounds dumber than dog SH^T I know but it works and it might help you find your noise.
An afterthought...skid plates often vibrate and sound like motor related problems

Old 04-04-2003, 08:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I was thinking skidplates for ChevRaptor, mainly because what he said about throttle postion. And your right about the screw driver thing, it works real well.

Old 04-04-2003, 09:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I agree with the skid plates for chevy, give that a look see, of course this is in reference to aluminum after market skids. Both my belly and swing arm skids have came loose and vibrated making noises that took a little while to figure out where they were coming from.

Old 04-05-2003, 08:12 AM
Pro Rider

can you reproduce the sound ??

Old 04-05-2003, 11:27 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Well.....whats the verdict? At least you did realize my post was sarcastic...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. My vote is the balancer getting lubrication upon initial startup. What brand and type of oil do you run...at what intervals is the oil changed?

Quick Reply: weird noise at idle (raptor)