Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

weird noise at idle (raptor)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2003, 10:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird noise at idle (raptor)

ok, this is my last question i promise. When i ran it on sunday mornin i started it up, but i forgot to turn on the fuel. It ran smootly with the choke on but there was a weird noise coming from the engine. Not like a pop pop noise or scraping noise, but kinda like the noise a small electric motor makes. when it turned off cause it was outta fuel and i started it back up with the fuel the noise was gone. Did anybody else ever have this happen to them? im trying to figure out a better way to explain the noise. It has nothing to do with spart of ignition, it was really weird. O O, kinda like the noise the electric pruners gardeners use for shrubs, you know the noise they make, really similar to that noise. ok thanks for the replies, warrior

Old 04-03-2003, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

thats very odd. I know what those electric pruners sound like. Very odd noice to be coming from a 660 cc 4 stroke. Im thinking it could have been from the starter?

-nick

Old 04-03-2003, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

well it wasnt that loud, but my friend standing right next to me noticed it. It only happened when the fuel was shut off. Anybody else?

Old 04-03-2003, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider

o and like i said, its not like the engine itself was making this noise. Its not like if you put your ear to the exhaust it sounds like an osterizer blender or anything. The motor sounds fine, but there another noise coming from the engine. You know like when your valves are tickin, the engine isnt making the noise but at the same time it is. Well its that same situation and probably just as loud..or not loud. thanks

Old 04-03-2003, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider

Very paranoid because it's new you are!!! Turn the gas on and ride it........ That IS what it's made for isn't it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Dont worry about it man since you don't ride with the fuel off anyway. Enjoy your new ride!!

Old 04-03-2003, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider

no, i was paranoid about the break in, but this is just more curiosity than paranoia. I cant figure out what would cause that sound. Actually to be even more accurate, it sounds like the electric knife my grandparents use to cut the turkey. But not as loud. Im sure its nothin, but just curious. What the heck makes that noise and does it have anything to do with the fact the gas was off? ok, later.

go to sleep i must. turn on the computer in the morning i will. what was replied overnight i will seee. ok enough of that, bye

Old 04-03-2003, 11:29 PM
Range Rover

Mine makes a tic tic sound when I leave the choke on too long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-04-2003, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider

My engine makes that noise quite often. I know the sound you are talking about. I adjusted my valves recently, so I know it is not that. I think it is just something with the clutch and gears spinning. But it is probably just the pulsing of the oil pump or water pump? I have had my Raptor for over a year now, and it has always done it. It is nothing to freak about. The raptor engine is just noisy. Not as noisy, though, as a Cannondale engine! Just get a louder pipe and you will not even notice it anymore!

RR1

Old 04-04-2003, 01:06 AM
Trailblazer

Hey there, I just came across this atv forum looking for an answer to the same question. I have a 2001 raptor, and just recently when I have been riding it, it makes a crazy squealing type noise, kinda sounds like a cat choking on a fur ball, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] . Actually, it sounds like a bearing that has gone out, it is coming from the right side i think, I would almost think it was the water pump going out, but i figured i'd get a second oppinion before tearing into it.... Any other thoughts from anyone?....... thanks..

Old 04-04-2003, 02:20 AM
Range Rover

Does your raptor leave puddles???????? On your waterpump housing on the bottom there is a little hole, when you pump starts to go out it will leak there frist I think anyway.

Quick Reply: weird noise at idle (raptor)