Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

New Yamaha 660CC High performance quad SPECS!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2000, 10:31 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I didn't mention it here, 30% loss thru the drivetrain seems pretty steep to me too, I may have intepreted that particular spec wrong. There isn't much info out there for this engine, and all the info that is, is in foreign formats. I am pretty confident about the other HP number though (at least for the street bike).

I would look for RWHP to be closer to the lower to mid 40's

Old 04-26-2000, 08:51 PM
Trailblazer

Those spy pics sure look awesome. I don't know which engine they are going to use, but that sure is a tough looking machine. I talked with a Yamaha dealer and he said that they are going to produce 6 new quads for 2001. That number sounds kinda high to me unless they discontinue a couple. Only time will tell. Thanks for the info Gabe.

Old 04-26-2000, 09:08 PM
Pro Rider

i would rather have the light weight 426 motor cause it is sweet and alot cooler and from what i seen on that site and your information the 426 motor would be just as power full and lighter. And more aftermarket goodies for it.

Old 04-26-2000, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider

where did you get these pics??????????????

Old 04-27-2000, 11:02 AM
Pro Rider

The pics came from several hours of research all over the web.

While being a fan of small, high RPM engines myself, we must keep in mind that the only reason that a YZ426 can develop as much HP as this engine is that it does so by being able to turn over 11,000 RPM. This engine does it with a redline of 7,000 RPM. Like comparing a stock Big Block Chevy to a highly tuned small block.

Apparently Yamaha is having some concerns about the use of a highly tuned, specialized race engine in their new quad (ie. YZ426), they probably are thinking it would be better to use a motor that is less stressed to begin with, but develops the same end result of HP with more torque to boot and with no factory race team to worry about, CC's don't really matter.

Old 04-27-2000, 01:19 PM
Trailblazer

Those are the exact same pics that are in dirtwheels. Read the article in the June issue. Do you really think the quad will look like this? If it does then Yamaha hasn't kept it as classified as Honda did with the 400EX. I hope this will be competitively priced with the 400EX - $7000 is a little steep for the sport market, but mamma always said you get what you pay for so maybe it will be that much better than everything else on the market. Only time will tell!!

Old 04-27-2000, 01:39 PM
Pro Rider

Not the EXACT same pics have another close look....

Never said they were "my own", some folks don't have subscriptions to the rags, like myself. Though I would post these images for them + I have the specs that the rags don't.

As for them keeping it the same, I seriously doubt they would engineer, set up molds, and everything else it takes, just for a cheesy "spy photo" in dirtwheels to mask what they are really doing, especially with the level of detail shown on the machine in the pics, it looks to be a production ready machine, plastic and all.

Manufacturers vary on how tight lipped they are about new models. Honda has been known for years for being extremely secretive about new models, on the other hand you have Cannondale who is very open with their developments, so much so to take some serious criticism for announcing new models so early.....

Old 04-27-2000, 02:09 PM
Trailblazer

After I made that reply I then read another thread where you asked for someone to scan the pictures so you could make the page. Sorry.
I don't have DW close, but what is the difference? Is it the helmet? I will look at DW when I get home to see if I notice the difference. I just hope that these pics aren't the work of someone using some photo editing software and DW trying to get our attention.
What does everyone think about the price of this quad? Do you think it will be close to the Banshee / 400EX, or will it be a $7000 ATV??

Old 04-27-2000, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider

i WOULD RATHER HAVE A HIGH REVVER THEN A LOW REVVING 4 STROKE
I SEEN THE CT440 KIT REVS OUT TO 10,--- SOMTHING

BUT THE 426 MOTOR IS SWEET AND SURE IT REVS HIGH BUT THATS JUST THE WAY I WOULD WANT IT.

Old 04-27-2000, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider

First of all, the picture on page 23 of the June 200 ATV Action (another spy photo of the new Yamaha) clearly shows a master cylinder on the left side of the bars. Hydraulic clutch! Interesting.

86atc250r: Nice page, and there is some good info. Only one problem, the 660cc motor everyone seems to think is in the quad is a dry sump lube. This requires an external oil tank. I don't see one, so either they hid it very well, used the frame as the tank like they do on some bike, or this quad uses a different motor.
#1 is possible, #2 isn't, and #3 is. Obviously its a water cooled motor, but it's not nessicarily a 660. It seems like we might be a bit ahead of oursleves, the pic shows small cooling fins on the cylinder, a radiator and the pipe tells us its a thumper. From the large chassis, it must be atleast a 400cc motor. And, does the 600 have a hydaulic clutch? This would bo benificial in proving or disproving this motor.

The pics aren't that great, but since most of the right fender is there, if it is a YZ400 motor that added an electric starter. There isn't enough room for the starter to pivot down. It still COULD be a YZ.

Another option is that its a totally new motor. This is possible, but unlikely as Yamaha has only done this in the newest Kodiak, and even then it was based (I think) on an older design.

It may be the 660 motor you propose, but it seems like we don't have enough facts to be too sure. Yamaha has probably made quite a few large displacement 4-stoke water cooled singles for this and other markets. It could be any of them.

Good job on the site and with the info. I understand how hard it can be to find anythin usefull as I have spend a lot of time trying to track down the Blaster's parent motor. And no, it's not an IT200.

How did this post get so long? Oh well.

Quick Reply: New Yamaha 660CC High performance quad SPECS!