Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Rappy Storage

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2003, 06:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rappy Storage

Looks like I'm leaving for the big sand box on Wednesday. I will be gone for 6 months or more. Please gime me some advise for storing my baby for that amount of time. I want it to run when I get back.

Old 04-04-2003, 07:02 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rappy Storage

Leave her at my house. Drain the gas from the carb and leave the battery on a battery tender if you have one. It might not be a bad idea to drain the tank as well. Will you still be able to post from over there(where exactly will over there be for you?). Good Luck...post us a story when you can.

Old 04-04-2003, 07:13 PM
RIP Dear Friend
Default Rappy Storage

Since 1990 instead of draining the gas tank I have used a product called
sta-bil. I mix it according to the directions and have never had a fuel
related problem. I use it in my emergency generators too.

I would change the oil so when you come back she is ready to go.

Old 04-04-2003, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rappy Storage

Hey man, first off, and most importantly GOD BLESS YOU MAN!!! You be safe and take care and know that we all are damn PROUD of you and what you guys do for us!! GODSPEED!!!
If you don't have a battery tender you can try putting it in a dark corner. Next I think I would drain the gas then you don't have to worry about possible condensation. Then, hide the keys or when you come back it may have new owners!!!!

THANKS FOR YOU SERVICE!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-04-2003, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rappy Storage

Are batteries like ugly women? They are better off in the dark? That light issue sounds like an old wives tale...like concrete pulls the charge from a battery.

Old 04-04-2003, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rappy Storage

No **** starky,you are going to iraq,man i dident know this,will anyways i want to thankyou for the a-arm again you saved me bro...Peace and God Bless..Kick one of them in the A$$ for me..LOL

Old 04-04-2003, 08:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Rappy Storage

Take the battery completely out, sit the bike up off the ground so the tires don't touch and take the air out of them, and drain the gas ( I don't beleive in that sta-bill stuff but thats just me).

And use LOTS of mouse traps around it.

Old 04-04-2003, 08:17 PM
RIP Dear Friend
Default Rappy Storage

I would think even if you would drain the tank out or run the engine till it quits there will be some fuel left behind in small amounts that would cause deposits after drying up or should I say varish.

I think the battery if fully charged and stored in cool conditions and then charged again before cranking you will be OK.

I think!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Chet

Old 04-04-2003, 08:22 PM
RIP Dear Friend
Default Rappy Storage

Ward what I do during storage with my tires is air them up to 25 psi so they don't flat spot. I have a sealed concrete floor and the garage is temp controlled.

I know the gas right now in my 300 4x4 is from last fall with sta-bil.

I wonder if it would sta-bil me after a few beers? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 04-04-2003, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rappy Storage

Ok, first of all, thanks for all the best wishes. If I can get to a computer I will be sure to keep posting. I can't tell you where I'm going, but watch the news next week. I will be the one holding up a sign saying "Welcome to the new George W. Bush International Airport".
The shop stays pretty cool even in the summer. I'll disconnect the battery but I think I'll leave it in. Someone told me to run it out of gas then spray some WD-40 in the cylinder to keep it from rusting. Sounds like a good idea. I put Sta-Bil in my generator and it seems to work well. I think I will run most of the gas out than add a little Sta Bil to keep it from turning to carmel. Then put it up on blocks. I'm definately going to try and keep the dog food out of the air box.
Again, thanks for all the support. I'm going to make a point to get out to CA this Fall to meet some of you guys (like I really will have a need to see more sand)

See ya.

Starky

Quick Reply: Rappy Storage