Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

bye bye red sticker

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2003, 06:18 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bye bye red sticker

Starky, as long as you have out of state registartion on your quad, you'll have no probs at Glamis. I know some states issue stickers, while others give out license plates. If you have any questions when you get here, just stop be the Ranger Station and they'll hook you up. Haz

Old 04-06-2003, 06:33 PM
Pro Rider

wshrdskin,

I have the proof in my hand right now, the DMV sent me a green sticker for my currently red stickered Cannondale [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-06-2003, 06:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

My nephew who just bought a used 2002 Banshee also recieved a Green sticker. I still want to read about it somewhere. Ive checked the DMV website OHV websites from the DMV and can find no mention of it anywhere. It is what it is I guess. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-06-2003, 06:41 PM
Pro Rider

Hey David.....I just checked out the DMV site and couldn't find anything either.. But since everyones going Green Sticker, maybe the Poker Run coming up in Barstow will be bigger than expected..(two thumbs up)..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-07-2003, 03:09 PM
Pro Rider

I Guess my 03 shee will stay red sticker cause of the year? I Hope not[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 06-03-2003, 11:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

does anyone have a link where I can officially read about this? I want to buy a banshee but won't if it's red sticker

Old 06-03-2003, 11:53 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here in Ga there is no registration or stickers. Do i need anything to ride @ Glamis.

Old 06-03-2003, 12:02 PM
Pro Rider

a few weeks ago this was the site the spelled out the "grandfather clause", seems to not be active now, check with it later. http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=22643

Old 06-03-2003, 05:18 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

I've seen this posted on here before and someone linked to a Press Release on the DMV's site [Ed. actually the ohv site. I did not deligently read the post above that had the correct site...I remember the error that it now shows [see below for a PDF of the Press Release]]. I read it, but a few hours later it was gone. No trace of it.

I know someone who got a present surprise when the tags came in for his YZ125.

As far as when you can ride with what sticker, it depends on the particular OHV park.

Tada here we have a Press Release (this is different than the one I read before): Increased Sticker Enforcement (PDF file)

To quote the release:

Because of the confusion as to which vehicles required which stickers, many vehicles were issued the wrong one. That often resulted in different owners of the same identical OHV receiving different stickers, and made it difficult for law enforcement agencies to enforce registration laws. To rectify the problem, and to start with a clean slate, the DMV will provide Green Stickers to all 2002 model year and older OHVs, regardless of emission standards. Thus, the DMV is notifying all owners that the type of registration sticker to be issued this year may be different than the one previously issued.

The OHV registration requirements are:
• All 2002 model year and older OHVs, regardless of emission standards, will be issued a Green Sticker, including those OHVs previously issued a Red Sticker.
• Those 2002 model year and older OHVs with a 2004 expiration on their Red Sticker will automatically be issued a replacement 2004 Green Sticker through the mail, while OHVs
with a Red Sticker expiring in 2003 will be issued a Green Sticker only after paying registration renewal fees to the DMV.
• Green Stickers will be issued to all 2003 model year and newer OHVs that are certified by their manufacturer to meet California’s OHV emission standards. These OHVs may be operated year-round at all California OHV riding areas.
• Red Stickers will be issued to all 2003 model year and newer OHVs that are not certified to California OHV emission standards. Owners will be issued a Red Sticker if the vehicle
is a 2003 model year or newer vehicle, and there is a “C” or “3” in the eighth digit of the vehicle’s VIN.
Red Sticker Riding Schedule

I believe "closing to Red Stickers" is more of a pollution thing than a fire prevention measure. Though high pollution and high fire danger schedules do go hand in hand. All OHMVR Division SVRAs are closed to Red Stickers between May 31 and Sep. 15. Individual parks open later and close earlier. Most appear to be 6 mos. riding schedules. Oceano aka Pismo is an 8 mos/4mos schedule. Do note that the release above says that they will be increasing enforcement. Has anyone ever known/seen someone get ticketed for riding out of season? I think it's probably enforced more on a secondary basis. I.e. you went flying through a campground with no helmet on while hiking someone kind of thing.

The State OHV Site has a lot of information for your reading pleasure.

About the only thing not on that site that I would like would be downloadable PDFs of the maps you get when you come into the parks and links to the Vehicle Code on the DMV's site that they talk about.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote