Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Free 2002 Grizzly 660

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2003, 11:30 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Free 2002 Grizzly 660

Originally posted by: MMwildman
I've ridden the Praire 650, but I like my 660 better.
hey wildman! its cool to see someone so close to home on this forum.I live in chaska, have you heard anything about a big ride coming up around may 2?somewhere up north.

Old 07-25-2003, 03:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

The Low down on the Grizzy

There is a service bullitin out on the Grizzlys correcting the vapor lock problems. $61.00 for the vented side panels or its free to make your own. If you goto www.google.com and type in 660 grizzly , you'll find a link to a fella who's modified his to fix this problem. Also for $ 7.68 they make a precut/prefit piece of heat shield that goes under the fuel tank and fuel valves. On hot days I've had no problems out of my 2003. Have never lost any power or seen a hot light UNTILL I hit water ! Then the steam from the headers does a number on that carb thats right there.. but if you keep holdin her open and pump the throttle a few times.. you'll find once it cools off in the water it only hasitates for about 8 seconds, then she's back up to full power again. I have the 2003 and my roommate has the 2004. They've fixed these problems with the 2004. The thermal wrap is already there and it has louvered side panels. Also comes complete with an overide button for reverse and Diff lock. The 2003 will cut out at 20 MPH with Diff lock engaged regardless of RPM.. it goes by speed not RPM's. Test it out in Low range, listen to your RPM's and watch the speedometer. Then try it in High range and listen to your RPMs and watch the speedometer. Two diff RPMs but still cuts out at the same speed.

For my opinion. I WOULD NEVER OWN A POLARIS unless someone gave it to me.. Then if they did I'd probably spend more time pulling it with my Grizzly. I like Yamaha but I will say you CAN NOT beat a Honda Foreman ! All around good bike. My friend just got the Rincon. So far he likes it.. but I think I can out do him with the Grizzly. He had the Foreman before it.. and he put that thing through ATV Hell ! And he couldnt kill it. My cousin has the 650 Prarie. Havn't put it to the test yet but we were playing around a little a few weeks ago... and I pull up beside him like I was gonna challange him... we were doing 35 MPH. He gunned it and brought the front end off the ground. But I think on a straight stretch the Grizzly has a higher top end at 69 MPH. It will NOT go any faster stock. I'm going to upgrade with the Heavy duty clutches found at Parts Unlimited® and an HMF exaust system, K&N Air Filter and jet kit.

660 Grizzly Stock 2003
hazelwoodfa@hotmail.com

Old 07-25-2003, 06:26 AM
Pro Rider

I've been rethinking how I view the sport and might just go 'glorified golf cart' with the groundbreaking Rhino.

Yet how do you justify spending 10 grand plus (with options) on something that obviously doesn't have an engine with a proven track record?

Is Yamaha going to (obviously) assure me that this was all merely a "heat shield" problem...........or am I going to end up employing Mich660grizz as my personal mechanic?(I can't afford him!).

It kind of makes you think twice when considering the fact that four stroke engine problems from most manufacturers have been a rarity for literally 'years'...................

Old 07-25-2003, 09:45 AM
Pro Rider

Gas boiling : I removed a gas tank , installed a 1/8 thick rubber strips/selfstick/ and aluminium sheet metal/from dryer duct material/ under the tank./Rubber strips have an aluminium strip on one side/. With a heat tape /see Andy's post/ I have not had any problem since. I did not cut any side panels/I should've/
I could've also predicted a gas boiling,so I was carefull when going up the hill after long slow technical riding in difficult, muddy terrain in 4x4 or 4x4 lock.
Jonathan....a great guy from Ishpeming , MI moved to Florida, according to Yamaha dealer in UP....I also don't know how to contact him,since I lost all info. after my computer crashed.
I rode with him in UP. Hopefully one day.....he reapears again.

Joe
02 camo Grizz,3500 miles.
Many problems fixed, next machine will be the Grizz. again. Superior features.

Old 08-09-2003, 01:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 2003 Grizzly and the I have the part numbers to fix your machine. Yamaha has a fix it kit and the part numbers are- Heat insulation kit 5KM-HSKIT-02-00, The side ventilation panels are 5KM-SPKIT-01-00. This is a factory fix it kit for the overheating problem. I know it sucks that Yamaha won't warranty this but your dealer should sell you these items at cost. Its about 50 dollars. Every dealer I've talked to, especially where you bought it should help you with this problem, just ask them. Another trick the dealer down here in Wyoming is doing is obviously the heat reflective tape but also he is drilling the gas cap hole bigger for better venting. They should have the specs dirrectly from Yamaha. This should fix your problems. I also had to get mine rejetted for the high elevation but thats probably true for any machine. We need to start a petition so Yamaha will pay for their mistake. It doesn't seem right that they should make money on their screw up. This factory fix it kit is the same panels and heat insulation they are putting on the 2004's so you know they realize it is a problem. Good luck and I hope this helps.

Lewha
2003 Grizzly

Old 08-09-2003, 02:13 AM
Pro Rider

Has anyone used a coolant additive in there 660? Thats what alot of the p650 owners use.

Old 08-09-2003, 02:16 AM
Pro Rider

I feel for you Kywarrior. I looked very closely at the Grizzly before I bought my Prairie. But when I researched my purchase options here on the forum, I discovered all of the same Grizzly problems you mentioned. Then when I spoke to my local Yamaha dealer about them, he acted as though he'd never heard of any such issues with the Grizzly. I became very suspicious, and ultimately decided that the Prairie was the right 4X4 machine for me. I've been very content with it, and I never looked back. I hope you're able to get some kind of satisfaction from Yamaha. Good luck![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-11-2003, 12:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

maybe we need to consider a class action lawsuit? Any lawyers out there reading this?

I am taking my Grizzly in on Wednesday. I had some over heating problems this winter in deep snow. Then the last 2 weeks I've had big problems. I ended up completely removing the side panels to keep it running, and that was after sitting on the side of the road for 30 minutes waiting for the gas to quit boiling.

I hope the dealer gets these things fixed on Wednesday, and I don't have to deal with it anymore.

Other than this issue, the Grizzly has been an amazing machine. I was sitting on top of the continental divide at 13,192 feet on Monday afternoon. It was amazing!

Old 08-13-2003, 02:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: 21stCenturyMan
maybe we need to consider a class action lawsuit? Any lawyers out there reading this?

I am taking my Grizzly in on Wednesday. I had some over heating problems this winter in deep snow. Then the last 2 weeks I've had big problems. I ended up completely removing the side panels to keep it running, and that was after sitting on the side of the road for 30 minutes waiting for the gas to quit boiling.

I hope the dealer gets these things fixed on Wednesday, and I don't have to deal with it anymore.

Other than this issue, the Grizzly has been an amazing machine. I was sitting on top of the continental divide at 13,192 feet on Monday afternoon. It was amazing!

Old 08-14-2003, 09:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

I agree with the lawsuit idea. They should pay for the repairs and the DIYers that fixed there own problems. I believe I fixed mine after following the advise of Mich660 and Andy Bassam and many others. Again, much thanks . Yamaha should also pay for the mental anguish they caused us. I know not any one quad is perfect, every one of them has a little something that irks us but usually they are petty and we learn to live with them, but as for the vaporlocking/overheating/sputtering problems with the grizzly, it is ridiculous.That why I bought a new quad so I would have a reliable one. Honestly after I did the reflective heat tape,side covers, head wrap and changed my fuel line over to an automotive F. Injection hose I haven't had any problems for about 2 months now and am very happy with the Grizz.Thats not saying I'm happy with Yamaha. This is my fourth yamaha,YZ125,wolverine,warrior and now the grizzly and I have to say It will be my last.Also someone mentioned asking the dealer prior to purchasing a grizz about if they heard of such problems,and they responded that they haven't......Well thats BULLSHI@%$@^@#. That burnt me more than anything that the stood there and lied to my face. So after the grizzly give up it's BYE BYE yamaha and more than likely hello Honda.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Free 2002 Grizzly 660