Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

BearTracker: Skidplate & carb adjust?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2003, 06:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BearTracker: Skidplate & carb adjust?

Help, I bought used BearTracker and don't have a user manual so I can't look this info up.

My BearTracker doesn't idle with the choke rod fully in. As soon as the engine slows down it dies. Can someone tell me the procedure to adjust the idle speed? How many turns should the idle speed screw be set for? Do I need to adjust the main screw also? Do I have to adjust both screws? Which screw positions correspond to richening and leaning the mixture? Is screw in to richen? Is screw out to lean?

The choke rod has 3 detent positions; one is when the choke is full on (rod out). If I push the choke rod in a half inch or so I hit another detent. Is this detent the run position? The engine will idle ok at this detent. If I push the choke rod fully in the engine dies. Which choke position is supposed to be used for a warm running engine?

Lastly does any know where I can pick up a used front skidplate? If you have one locally and want to sell it let me know. I am located in Houston, TX and can always buy a new one at dealer prices but I would prefer not to.

Thx,
45ACP

Old 04-12-2003, 07:10 PM
Pro Rider

I have a 2003 Beartracker. The run position is where the choke is pushed in as far as it can go. I think the idle screw is a rather large downward facing screw. Just turn it until it idles right.

Old 04-12-2003, 11:54 PM
Range Rover

I've been through my beartacker carb plenty of times, have a dyno jet kit insalled k&n air and oil filters, redline oil and fmf silencer. Try adjusting the idle screw if that doesn't work adjust the mixture screw all the way in then out 2 and a half turns. Let me know if you get it running right. If not I can walk you through the carb.

Old 04-15-2003, 11:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks to all who replied. The BearTracker now idles great. It was a piece of cake to adjust once I located the mixture and idle adjust screws.

Next I need to weld up a front skid plate since mine is missing. Is the BearTracker front skid plate made of aluminum or steel?

Thanks,
45ACP
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]