Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

BEST Sport Quad

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2003, 06:29 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BEST Sport Quad

Hello, I am wondering what is the best sport quad out there. I want a quad that has good steering, good power, and is fast. I know about the Raptor, Z 400, Predator, but what is the best one for the price and the best for the woods and forest trails. Thanks

Old 04-13-2003, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default BEST Sport Quad

You do know that you are going to get diferent opinions depending on which forum you go to. Seeing how this is a yamaha forum you will probily get that the rapter is better. Just like when you asked in the polaris forum and they answered predator. JMO but you should try them all out. and dont buy one just because people say it is better than another. I personaly liked the rappy better than the predator but decided to try the polaris. I just think they are two different quads..jmo

Old 04-13-2003, 07:42 PM
Trailblazer
Default BEST Sport Quad

I know how it is. Im bought to buy a new quad and im stuck between the raptor and KFX400. I dunno what to do. The raptor has the power of course, i mean its a 660 of course the powers there. The kFX and Z have the handling. You just gotta decide whats best for what kinda riding your gonna be doing. Im gonna be riding tight winding trails and steep hills. Im probably gonna go with the KFX...i think i like the lime green better than the yellow Z. i think the Z(kfx) will be better suited for the kind of riding that i do. If you want a rush of power go with the raptor, if you want super handling go with the Z. You cant get it all. Im gonna go with the Z(kfx) because its designed for great handling and I can always by a good pipe and hot cams and some other things and wake the Z up real well but u cant just change the overall design of a frame. Sure you can change suspension and axles and A arms but not the overall frame geometry and thats where the good handling starts. Just go for whatever suits your riding needs best. If i lived in open country with dune and long straights the raptor would be my choice for sure, but my brothers got a raptor and he just cant keep up with one of my friends on his 400EX in the woods. Good luck

Old 04-14-2003, 02:47 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default BEST Sport Quad

Personally I think that the best bet for you would be the Z 400 because it is (considering) fairly inexpensive, has plenty of power for trails and whatever else you can throw at it, and from (what I can tell) is very reliable and mosat importantly fun to ride. I would <u>NOT</u> get a Polaris Predator simply because they have not been out long enough to tell if they are reliable. As for teh Raptor I think that it is a great quad, but I think the Z 400 has the most potential of the bunch.

Old 04-14-2003, 04:12 AM
Default BEST Sport Quad

Originally posted by: WarriorMan2003
Personally I think that the best bet for you would be the Z 400 because it is (considering) fairly inexpensive, has plenty of power for trails and whatever else you can throw at it, and from (what I can tell) is very reliable and mosat importantly fun to ride. I would <u>NOT</u> get a Polaris Predator simply because they have not been out long enough to tell if they are reliable. As for teh Raptor I think that it is a great quad, but I think the Z 400 has the most potential of the bunch.

I most defitanlly agree with WM2003 there
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-14-2003, 04:25 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default BEST Sport Quad

Fast and furious- How long are you planning on keeping the quad you buy?? What do your friend ride?? Do you plan to do lots of modds?? No matter how i look at it, you need a raptor. I see lots of people riding the raptors super hard on the trails. I have never seen one tip over. I have seen lots flip over from the power. I saw you posted in different forums. A predator make 3.5 hp more stock that a raptor and almost 13hp more than a Z, BUT when you dial in the rappy with a pipe/jet and air lid off the rest can not catch you. If the handling worries you get a wider axle. Buy a raptor and spent 700 dollars more and be happy for years to come. Buy the others and 6 weeeks later you will wish you bought a raptor. The z does not smoke a 400ex that bad.

Old 04-14-2003, 02:19 PM
Trailblazer
Default BEST Sport Quad

You guys that own raptors know that the seat height is too high and the way theyre designed makes them wheelie easy not just the power. I dont really own one but my brother does so ive rode one quite a bit. On a tite trail with lots or sharp corners the raptor shows that its not designed for that. I wish it was. I would love to have a 660 quad that would handle like a 400 but thats not gonna happen. Like i said before you cant have it all. The Z is supposable a 400EX on steriods. Now ive not ridden the Z but i have rode the EX and a lot of ppl are gonna get pissed for me sayin this but sorry....a raptor cant hang with a 400EX on a tight track or trail...sorry but the truths the truth. If you dont like to ride on the edge and take the chances go for the raptor. The power is almost enough to make you not even notice the way it handles but if your really into tight trails and racing through the woods go for the Z. If you want a straight line rocket go for the raptor. If you want somethin bonestock that will run with anything get the raptor.

Old 04-14-2003, 03:01 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BEST Sport Quad

The reason the seat height is higher on the raptor is because of the engine size. Yes, a 400ex will handle better than a raptor. If someone made a quad with the raptor's power and the ex's frame geometry then everyone would be on one.

The raptor is no slouch in the trails. Besides, do you need to be going over 40mph in sharp carving trails? You run into all kinds of dangers that would plague you on any type or brand of quad. Most of the sport quads can all keep up with each other in most trail situations.

Hell, my cousin's blaster runs with my raptor, my uncles raptor, and my friends 250r in the trails. Are you talking about losing 10 ft of ground over a 2 mile trail???

Old 04-14-2003, 03:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BEST Sport Quad

With just a air pressure adjustment on my Rappy i can corner with any 400's around, if any thing the 400s tend to slide more and lose speed. I am not saying that the Raptor does not have a few handling issues but that just means i have to hang little more out there. Also have to agree with 14mins post get the power now, you will not be sorry.

Old 04-14-2003, 04:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default BEST Sport Quad

What riding background are you coming from? I just bought my 1st quad (a Raptor) this spring. I had never ridden a quad before but have ridden snowmobiles for 25 years. Power is something I knew I wanted. Since my Raptor purchase I bought a KFX 400 for my wife. Here's the way I see it....the KFX is stiffer suspended, has a harder seat, wider, and has what most people call "smooth, predictable power". My Raptor has enough torque to pull the front end in four gears, has a plusher ride, is narrow enough to meander through the timber yet still feels plenty stable. There is absolutely no comparison between the two when torque is considered. The KFX feels like a dog after riding the Raptor but it hangs right with a stocker for 300 feet or so.

Too each his own, but I'm glad I got a Raptor.

Quick Reply: BEST Sport Quad