Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

somethin wrong with my Raptor???

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2003, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default somethin wrong with my Raptor???

My raptor has about 3 tanks of gas through it and although this may be a stupid question im gonna ask it anyway. I see a lot of people on this forum saying how their raptor's front end lifts in second and third gear just by slamming the gas. Well my raptor only does it in first, and maybe like an inch or two at tops in second gear if i sweet spot it. Is there something wrong? Is this normal> im at a higher altiude some maybe the stock jetting is wrong? Now when its doesnt or does wheelie, im not doing anything else to assist the front except giving it gas. Im not lifting the bars or leaning back or dumping the clutch, so if this is everyone elses front comes up then im sure mine does that too.

Please just tell me if there is something i should be concerned about or atleast look into. BTW, im 5,11 and 150-160 pounds.

Thanks for the replies! warrior

Old 04-13-2003, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

I just bought a new Raptor last weekend and I can't say I am having that problem. Well I can't get mine on a wheely in third but second is no problem when you have it running at the sweet spot of it's powerband. You might have to put a little bit of input into to like pull back on the bars a little but it will easily pull a wheely in second. For that matter you can do it on a gravel lane in second gear.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Good Luck

Old 04-13-2003, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

Probably on the wrong terrain which ='s no grip. Try it on the pavement then reply. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

-nick

Old 04-13-2003, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

im talking about pavement. Ive always been doing them on pavement. And like i said, im not adding anything the wheelie cept slamming the gas. Im sitting up front, in the normal riding position, it i slam the gas it will come up slightly but it certainly wont fly up like it does it first.

Old 04-14-2003, 07:10 AM
Pro Rider

do u think it has to do with the stock jetting maybe? i broke t in really well so i dont think its that.

Old 04-14-2003, 07:57 AM
Range Rover

[quote]
Originally posted by: 87Banshee250sx<br Try it on the pavement then reply. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

hhmmm, yeah replying about his brand new rappy thats stuffed and scratched trying to pull a mono on pavement. Seems like as nick said you are trying on terrain thats laking traction. If you are always doing this then you probbaly don't need to hear this but Remember if you are going to try on pavement make sure if you feel like your going to flip backwards tap the rear brake immediatly, too low, give it more juice....... and have fun!

Old 04-14-2003, 05:37 PM
Pro Rider

ok, thanks but i dont see how that answers my question. Im doing it on dry pavement and its barely comes up in second if i slam the gas...is this normal, does everyone elses wheelie in second and third without helping it come up? please i just wanna know cause im taking it in for the after break in check up and ill tell them about it and have it checked out. Thanks

Old 04-14-2003, 07:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I felt the same way about mine when I got it but it got better as I rode it more. They are really choked up stock though. Get a pipe, jet kit and toss the lid and get a smile on your face.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-14-2003, 08:00 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Mine slightly lofts the front end when I shift into 4th under heavy load at SPEED......with me on the bars. Don't worry about stock performance, mod it and come back with a smile...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img].

Old 04-14-2003, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider

right well thats kinda what im asking. Im sure with mods the thing rips. But what im asking is is it supposed to be able to wheelie in second and third without mods. I remember people telling me how their quads front ends come up with ease and im also pretty sure they were stock. This is what prompted me to be sorta alarmed.

So BONE STOCK, is there something wrong with my raptor that it doesnt come up in second gear without assistance?

Thanks sixsix, your reply was helpful, id just wanna see if i can get anyone else to back what u said up. Like i said before, i wanna get this resolved so it can be fixed or whatever when i bring it in.

Again, it has 2 1/2 tanks through it so far of 87 first tank and 91 second tank.

I know raptors are backed up heavily in stock form and simple mods give a big power increase. I know stock is way below potential. Im not asking for more power or how to get it. Im just asking if the power i am experiencing is what a stock backed up raptor feels like or am i less?

thanks for all the help so far

Quick Reply: somethin wrong with my Raptor???