Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

somethin wrong with my Raptor???

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default somethin wrong with my Raptor???

ok thanks, does anybody else have any ideas? has anybody experienced this or know what it is i am experiencing. Any help is appreciated!

Old 04-14-2003, 11:11 PM
Range Rover

When you take it in for the 1st servise. Have them drop one tooth off the front. Then you should be able to get the front skyward in 2nd and 3rd and maybe even 4th.

Old 04-14-2003, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider

yeah but if i do that, im sure ill get more power, but that doesnt solve my problem because why do i have to drop a tooth to attain the same results as any other stock raptor without the dropped tooth? Thats my prob. LIke i said before, i know how to get more power by modifying it, but i need to know if my raptor is supposed to have more power than it has without modifying it.

Old 04-14-2003, 11:59 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

i wouldnt worry

just ride it

the more i ride my rap,,,,,the more power it shows me......really

Old 04-15-2003, 07:36 AM
Pro Rider

alright thanks

Old 04-15-2003, 08:12 AM
Pro Rider

o, this might be a little off topic but ill say it anyway. For some reason no matter how loose i make my gas cap, it gets incredibly tight. Now i have to spin it on and leave it where there is jst enough resistance where it wont turn anymore on it own. If i tighten it a little and then ride it, it takes me 5 mintues to get the strength to take it off. What up with that?

Old 04-15-2003, 02:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

I would say that something is up with your rap, In first that thing should wheelie over just by mashing the gas, Mine would stand straight up with me sitting on the gas cap even when it was stock no mods in first gear...in the grass. When you gas it in second you should have to do it with caution so the front dosent wheelie up, if your bike isnt performing like that...bring it in have them check it out.

Old 04-15-2003, 03:19 PM
Range Rover

I have an '03 LE also, in 2nd i have to pull up on the handle bars to wheelie it. I havent really tried it in third yet. Of coarse Im all stock so that may have something to do with it, Im getting my exhaust and K&n next week so Ill let you know how much easier it is to wheelie it with these add-ons.Later

Old 04-15-2003, 05:07 PM
Pro Rider

yeah, but feedmespeed just told us that his wheelies in second no problem and if he has to be careful if he jams on the gas it doesnt flip right over. So there is definately something wrong. Does anybody know what causes this? could it be the jetting.

Shutup, are you at a high altitude?

Im pretty sure its safe to say that mine and Shutup's have a problem. Thats the first step. Now can anyone/everyone please help me figure out what is wrong. Why its like this?

I have midgrade gas, changed oil, broken in like i stole it, higher altitude, weight around 155, 6 foot, sit up towards front and i sit up straight and thats about as much as i can tell you all.

thanks

Old 04-15-2003, 05:27 PM
Pro Rider

First, run premium gas. It seems to last longer, burn cleaner and will lessen the frequency of carb cleaning. Second, learn how to read a plug. Don't pay attention to color. Run it at wide open throttle with a load on it, shut it down and coast to a stop. Pull the plug. Take a flashlight and look at the electrode. There will be a silver ring around the top edge. This ring will half-moon down towards the porcelain somewhere around the electrode. If the half-moon is slight you are rich, and if the half-moon is too long you are lean. Since this is at wide open throttle it will tell you your main jet reading. Repeat the procedure at part throttle and that will tell you your needle setting. It is easiest to see when using a used plug so don't put in a new one to do this. People who use color to read plugs aren't accurately doing so.

Quick Reply: somethin wrong with my Raptor???