Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2000 Big Bear 4x4?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2000, 08:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been shopping around, and the big bear 4x4 seems to be the best for the cash, i want automatic clutch, no ES. around 400cc's and around 5 grand for a price, Is there any quad that can compare to the bear for the money? as in clearnace/sealed brakes, torque, handeling?
speed is not important, i plan on rough trail, I've looked at the Xpedition 425, but it has problems shifting from 3rd to 4th, please, help me people, what is the best for the money, honda's are ok, but not enough clearance and wheel base, help me, anyone ride the bear? is it good?

Old 04-26-2000, 10:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, i'll see if i can help. i owned a 2000 big bear but mine was two wheel drive. since you are going to be using it on rough trails i would say the bear is awsome. it has great low end torque and is geared low too. it will climb its way over anything. i sold the bear for a 4wd 2000 kodiak, but only and i repeat only because i wanted 4wd. i was gonna get a 4wd big bear but the dealer gave me an awsome price on the kodiak, 5199 out the door. my big bear actually made it through a mud hole that stopped a 300 honda four wheel drive. it was amazing the crap it would go through. so i can only imagine how good the 4wd would be.
If i was you the only other quad i would consider would be a rancher. It does have 1 tenth of an inch more ground clearance and the same suspension travel as the bear, but will never match the bears low end grunt. bottom line i dont see how you could go wrong with the big bear.

Old 04-27-2000, 12:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

I highly recommend the Big Bear. I own a 00 Big Bear and I have not had any problems. I purchasd the Big Bear for about 5300 which is a decent price. I considered getting the Kodiak but just didnt like the auto. The Big Bear is a no thrills 4wheeler but it does not lack power. It is geared real low and will easly hang with the Honda 450. I have put the BB through mud, deep water, climb steep hills the big bear defenitly can handle most situations. I feel if your going to do mostly trail riding you will not be disappointed in buying a BB. The only draw back would be that the BB does not have a very high top end speed and rides rough but it handles well. If your not looking to spend a large amount of money and you want a low maintenance 4 wheeler the BB fits the bill.

Old 04-27-2000, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider

see below. no more explanation is needed
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Old 04-27-2000, 09:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a '99 BB. Just bought it about three weeks ago, (new). MAN!!!! What an awesome machine. I was in the same boat as you are, all the want, and no cash to provide, he he he. Well, not that bad, but,......... Anyways, the BB is a real good deal, both for the money spent, and the power delivered. And, one more thing, I had a '97 BB, but a two wheel drive. Had to sell it due to financial difficulties, but it was an awesome machine. I since wanted the Griz. Just another awesome machine. The #1 reason i wanted the Griz, was because of it being an automatic, and the fact it could be either two or four wheel, verses the BB being locked in permanetely. Well, I am VERY happy to say, that the full time 4x4 is REALLY a great idea. Think about it, you NEVER have to bother shifting, in or out of 4x4, it's a go-getting machine. Buy one, you WONT be dissapointed. (The only thing i dont like about it is the fact there is no speedometer. But, unlike other brands, WE dont need to keep track of mileage to be able to trade it in and buy another at exactly 1000 miles) HE he he he. Any ?'s, email me, Chris!!!!!

Old 04-27-2000, 11:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

I bought mine about 3 months ago - I love it, almost bought the Kawasaki Prairie 400 4X4 - I don't regret it a bit!!! Did I say I love it!?!?!? I also didn't like the Honda nor the Suzuki because they sit low, look low, etc. I live in Houston and 98% of the used ATV's being sold in the classifieds, etc., are Polaris, so I stayed away from them also.

Someone mentioned this thing would climb over anything, they're not giving it enough credit!!! I have climbed over everything I could find - not one problem except for almost turning it over b/c some of the stuff was so steep.

Old 04-28-2000, 12:29 AM
Trailblazer

Is the Big Bear 400 front end a limited slip or is it like the Grizzly where one wheel will spin if it's in the air. Also how difficult is it to steer with the full time 4WD. I already own a 99 Grizzly and am thinking of purchsing a Big Bear.

Old 04-28-2000, 05:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the bear is limited slip, anyways, thankx people, im definitly getting the bear, it sounds and looks awsome, changed my sig.

Old 04-29-2000, 02:46 PM

NOTE FROM ATVBBS:

Please revise your signature again, kukerdan, deleting derogatory remarks.

atvbba