Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

PowerStroke vs Cummings

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2003, 06:12 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PowerStroke vs Cummings

Looking for some current information on fuel mileage of Powerstrokes (7.3 & 6.0)and Cummings engines. Also, please tell me why you think one is better than the other. Thanks[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-19-2003, 07:00 PM
Pro Rider

I have owned both and i still have a duramax and a cummins the cummins will get better fuel milage by far 21-26 my 01 powerstroke was 14-16 my duramax 19-21 the dodge does get better fuel econamy but the ride is stiffer and the looks are not as good

HOPE THIS HELPS JUST MY EXPERENCE[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-19-2003, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider

My dad has a '00 ford F250 4d 4x4 w/ 7.3 Powerstroke where my grandpa has a '99 Dodge 2500 4x4 ext cab w/ Cummins... I prefer Cummins

The ford feels quicker off the line NO DOUBT, when we go down west it's very hilly and the Powerstroke kicks *** but up the long hills the Cummins will end up winning. Powerstroke is noticibly quieter and less vibration. The cummins gets aroung 19-22MPG and the powerstroke will get 16-18MPG.
The Dodge has a rating of 300,000 miles between overhaul (100,000 more than Powerstroke)
The Powerstroke is quicker and pulls like a monster just not quite as good as cummins. If you ever plan on modding your diesel for 250 bucks you can gain 50hp and over 200ftlbs of torque with a Cummins.

I live in the Center of IL so we're surrounded by farm ground and diesel trucks, I'll tell you about Chevy DuraMax the look and finish of the truck is top notch but the drive train is JUNK. The Duramax I think will eventually come out on top they still need to do some R&D, running aluminum Heads on a Diesel doesn't work very good.

Powerstroke is made by International, very good motor, proven would buy another any day
Cummins I still feel is the best it may be 2 less cyl than the Ford but it WILL out perform.
Remembr it will cost a lot to maintain Diesel's they require almost twice the oil as gas engines and you have to keep them clean. You'll be Happy with both PSD vs Cummins, if you were to compare to gas it would be no competition. Diesel's will last forever and get good milege, not to mention they are stump pullers. Good luck

Old 04-19-2003, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider

The new 6.0 powerstroke is in a league of it's own. I dont own one but a buddy bought one and said he gets about 20mpg and it outpowers his previous 7.3 powerstroke by a long shot. The cummins is a proven motor but louder than heck and look at what it's stuck into.

Old 04-20-2003, 12:59 AM
Pro Rider

my 03 duramax has a allison 5 speed auto and i have had 3 a 01 and a 02 and now a 03 i pull a 36ft gooseneck with abought 22000 pd and there is nothing on the road that will pull with the duramax mine has a 4" exhaust from turbo back k&n filter and a juice 4 step chip i have had the same setup on all three and they have worked perfect so the junk part must come from no maintence and owner error my 01 cummins has 100000 miles already and it has been great also it will not pull with the duramax or ride or run but it does get better fuel milage i dont know abought anyone else but I WORK MY TRUCKS AND I SERVICE THEM RIGHT and no problems

Old 04-20-2003, 01:02 AM
Trailblazer

I use the 03 Powerstroke 6.0, to haul snowmobiles to Montana, every couple weeks, from Minnesota. We run at about 80 to 90, pulling one of three trailers, enclosed four place, open four, open two. The fuel economy is 10 at the lowest, and 16 at the highest, for what we are doing. Last year, and earlier this year, we were using the 7.3 for the same trips, and the economy was 8 to 12. Two years ago, we ran one trip with a cummings, won't do that again, I don't even want to talk about it! But in all fairness, I have a friend who is pulling a enclosed gooseneck for same application and he loves it, mileage is a little better, 1 or 2. Between the 6.0 and 7.3, there really isn't a "seat of the pants" difference in power, but it's there. IMO

Old 04-20-2003, 01:31 AM
Trailblazer

I would rather be cummin then strokin[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-20-2003, 01:39 AM
Pro Rider

Here is the real info. the new Cummins HO will get slightly better economy than the 6.0 stroker. The stroker will eat its lunch though in all pulling conditions, long or short hill dont matter.

Compared to the 7.3 the 6.0 has 10% better fuel economy, 20% better emissions, 30% more HP, 40 ftlbs more torque and it is 9 DB's quieter than its nearest competition in the cab...The Duramax.

The new 5 speed auto behind the 6.0 has 50% more cooling capacity than the commonly failing Allison tranny and has been to this point has been extremely reliable.

The verdict on the Dodge Auto is still out do to it being so new.

The HO Cummins is illegal in 3 states.

Hope this helps, the facts and just the facts.

Old 04-20-2003, 02:12 AM
Pro Rider

The old Cummins were underpowered the new H.O. have almost 100 more HP and 100 more ftlbs of torque. ( 305HP/ 555ftlbs) If you buy new buy cummins. The dodge Cummins holds the Diesel land speed record at 222MPH, bullydog technoligies took a Stock Cummins and made is have 725HP and 1200 ftlbs of torque. They are experts at diesel and if the others (ford, chevy) were better they would have used them as the base.

Old 04-20-2003, 01:16 PM
Trailblazer

btw, here's a link to a great Dodge diesel site. It's were I got the info to fix mine, myself, when 3 different dealers couldn't find the problem. And dodge wouldn't pay Cummings to fix it.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/

Quick Reply: PowerStroke vs Cummings