Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

PowerStroke vs Cummings

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2003, 10:09 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PowerStroke vs Cummings

Originally posted by: sandneck
Mudcat has good points, but I would bet it was a Cat engined truck that delivered it!
Dodge only will have Cummins engines in their truck until the 2006 model year, you probably will see Mercedes enging in there.
Dodge=Cummins, Ford = International Harvester, GM = Isuzu
I would like to see Chevy go with Cummins (or Cat, even better), just to put more American in the truck.
Cat is awesome. My family has owned excavators, bulldozers, dump trucks, and semis with cat engines, and they are the best, IMO. Bulletproof and so much more power than most of the other engines on the market. I would love to see a cat diesel in a truck from any of the big 3. Well, we can always dream...

Old 04-22-2003, 01:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PowerStroke vs Cummings

Just to play devil's advocate here you can check out www.fordcummins.com they compare cummins diesels to powerstrokes. Anyhow I know of NO ONE who has EVER had a connecting rod failure with either motor so what the heck does that show???? I know the cummins is somewhat beefier internally but it is also underpowered compared to others. Durability is exceptional on both the PS and the Cummins. You're probably not gonna wear either one out in normal use. Hell my last gasser had 158,000 without any mechanical failures except the water pump. Diesels from ALL major mfr's should last a long time and I think this really boils down to Ford vs Dodge. Truck for truck FORD WINS! Of course that's my OPINION. Buy what you like, you should be served equally as well by either. I doubt there will be much performance difference in the real world, I would go by ride quality, build quality, looks, comfort.