Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizz fixed, I Think..Mich660& AndyB

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2003, 03:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grizz fixed, I Think..Mich660& AndyB

Hey hey I believe the 660 grizz is fixed. Thanks for all the replies and help. I tried swiss cheesing the side panels , header wrap but I couldn't figure how to wrap the thing all the way due to the clamps, Tried it and it still sputtered. Then I was going to do the bottom of the tank but I couldn't fing any insulated heat tape without ordering from summit or jegs and I had a ride coming up on good friday, so I improvised and used the rest of the header wrap, put double sided tape on it and used it under the tank,then covered it with aluminum reflective tape from local hardware store. It looks like something from NASA. Also just for the heck of it I swapped the fuel line with some thick walled 5/16" fuel injection hose.Also wired the fan direct to a toggle switch so I can kick it on longer when I stop. Still works with factory switch. And by golly gee... It has NOT done it since. I hope it keeps on like it did this weekend because now I have no complaints. Once Again Thanks for the response. Keep ya'll filled in. Gotta run and eat Easter BBQ with fam. Later

Old 04-20-2003, 03:12 PM
Trailblazer

Kywarrior, that reminds me, I was going to mention the fan trick too. I am going to wire mine directly to battery hot, so the fan will run regardless of key position, like in most cars. But still through the thermal switch. Two of the three times I noticed the problem, was right after I have shut off the engine for a couple minutes, and restarted.

Old 04-20-2003, 11:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Same here mmwildman, After it sat for say 3-5min after I shut it off it built up more heat so I wired the fan to the battery using a toggle switch and it helps air circulation. Don't make the same Mistake I made, I used a fancy switch with a pretty red light on it to let me know it was on. Well for the light to work it needed to be grounded and that created a dead short resulting in smoking the circuit breaker (Sack below the fuse block). As if I needed the light, you can hear the fan run many feet away. I just thought it looked good with the red light. later

Old 04-21-2003, 01:20 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I had a time with that stupid heat wrap. I pulled off that aluminum shroud for the header pipes (where they meet into one piece), and even at least one of the clamps. Started at the engine and wrapped each pipe separate up to where they join. Then I just went from there making sure I had the pipe covered without gaps. It was a pain in the butt too, because I'm pretty **** about having it done as good as I can. Made sure it was all pulled tight before putting the clamps on it. Then I went around the little mounting things (for the aluminum shield) and all the way back just past where the header pipe joins the muffler pipe. It was also a bitch to get that one clamp back over the pipe with the heat wrap underneath it, but I managed. Then I put the aluminum guard back on and was done with it.

I cheaped out on the gas tank though. I used that cheap reflective tape with the foam on the sticky side. Just pulled off the tank and covered it up. Looks kind of crappy when you have the tank off, but its pressed against the white plastic shield, so it doesn't come off, and it seemed to do the trick. I think your fuel line trick is another good idea too. I never have vented my plastic panels on the sides though.