Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Need help pulling my new trailer!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2003, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help pulling my new trailer!

Actually if your tires are more than a couple inches bigger it will have a dramatic effect on pulling power. Believe it or not I went up 2 inches on my F350 with a V10 and I could feel the bottom end loss when towing heavy loads. A switch back to stock size tires confirmed it, my power returned.

Old 04-22-2003, 08:18 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

what brand trailer?

how often and how far are you planning to pull it?

Old 04-22-2003, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider

for now, just leave the house a little earlier,, and stay in the right hand lane! hehe have fun [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-22-2003, 09:39 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Nemo,
Just wait till I buy my 1/2 ton, then I will take that trailer off your hands if you would like!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] LOL. I still think you should try the cab spoiler to cut the trailers wind resistance....LOL!!

Old 04-22-2003, 10:42 PM
Trailblazer

If it is just a power issue, and you like the truck, then I would suggest adding:
1. Intake Kit
2. Freeflowing exhaust (single big pipe for more torque, try Gibson swept side)

and if it still isn't enough add a chip to that! Should make a serious difference with the trailor, and think of how much fun it would be when the trailor is off!

EDIT= DOH! Just re-read and realized you already have the exhaust! My bad.

Old 04-23-2003, 09:01 AM
Range Rover

Personally I don't think you will gain much of anything in the way of hp by adding a chip.
The Ford EEC system is actually pretty efficient for a truck that is mostly stock.
Basically the only thing a chip can do to a stock truck is play with the fuel map a tiny bit and bump the timing.
An air intake kit will only add hp if the stock unit is restrictive. So it might add some hp and then again it might not.

To make enough of a difference that you are going to actually feel it you will need to pick up at least 10 rwhp or so.
Personally I don't think an air intake and a chip will give you that.

Shorter gearing will help a lot,but its a 4X4 so I would not swap the gears. I'd just go with a smaller diameter tire in order to change the gearing.

BBK and a couple other places make a roots blower for that truck.
THEN you will have no complaints with towing......but its kinda pricey.
Maybe you could find a used one......

Old 04-23-2003, 11:01 AM
Pro Rider

I cant believe that has a problem pulling that trailer because my dads nissan pathfinder 3.5 lilter pulls a 5.5x14.5 fully metal trailer that was custom built that we hold 4 quads which are usually a DS 650, Warrior, 300ex and a blaster or mojave and it pulls ok with a little struggle but i thought a 4.0 would oull it right along. And does anyone know where my dad could get sumthing for his coil springs from causing the back end to sink when he put son the trailer?

Old 04-23-2003, 11:08 AM
Range Rover

I'm not terribly well versed on them but he can look into airbags that inflate inside the coil springs.
You can pump em up with a simple air compressor hose when towing to add support to the coils if they are not holding up on their own.

Old 04-23-2003, 11:37 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lboy is right on. The chips and intake won't do much if anything.Gearing or smaller tires would help the most with your truck but a bigger truck would be the best thing. Most people just take pulling into consideration you must also think about stopping and smaller trucks have to small of brakes esspecially if your driving in hilly or mountain areas.JMO

Old 04-23-2003, 01:13 PM
Pro Rider

Chips, intake, etc don't make enough of a difference to really help your towing. The wind deflecter has never proven to help either (I've researched the deflecter). Honestly, you just need to live with it. Gearing helps but that's expensive and you can just drive in 4th instead of 5th gear to keep the revs up.

Wind resistance is your biggest enemy. I have seen trailers with the big rounded cone that attaches to the front of the trailer to make it more aerodynamic - I don't know how much that helps though.

Quick Reply: Need help pulling my new trailer!